Sick and tired of chasing dreams of finding a home.

There’s nothing clever or savvy about depriving young people of home ownership just for your own personal gain, immoral maybe, but not clever or savvy.

Why do you think it’s right to deprive the next generation of that which we enjoyed.

In any market where there is "limited" stock in high demand, it makes total sense to deprive WHOEVER you have to deprive in order to take ownership and control of it yourself. Those who have the most clever and savvy strategy to deprive others to gain ownership of the commodity in high demand, the more of the commodity they will acquire. It's just a game. It's not my fault I got to the table first and bought up everything I could when it was available to me. Every generation has challenges to overcome. If I were 16 today, I would be chomping at the bit to get started and would be a homeowner before I was 25, probably 21. No problem at all.

I know a couple of buy to let landlords and they think they are doing you a favour when they buy the house you want to buy and then rent it to you.

Sadly the only thing they are thinking about is themselves and how you can contribute to their retirement.

Keep trying and good luck finding something the parasites don’t want.

I find it beyond belief really, that you are complaining about the lack of affordable housing in this country, and the avarice and selfishness of 'buy to let' landlords, whilst applauding Thatcher on another thread.

Has your account been hijacked, Mr Smith?

In any market where there is "limited" stock in high demand, it makes total sense to deprive WHOEVER you have to deprive in order to take ownership and control of it yourself. Those who have the most clever and savvy strategy to deprive others to gain ownership of the commodity in high demand, the more of the commodity they will acquire. It's just a game. It's not my fault I got to the table first and bought up everything I could when it was available to me. Every generation has challenges to overcome. If I were 16 today, I would be chomping at the bit to get started and would be a homeowner before I was 25, probably 21. No problem at all.

Does that also apply to the other basics of life like food, water, maybe even air?

Does that also apply to the other basics of life like food, water, maybe even air?

Don't be shocked, I am Goldfinger remember, I want to take over the world, so yes, if I could buy up all the air and then charge the rich large amounts to stay alive on a monthly basis, then yes, I'd definitely do that if it was legal or my lawyer could find a loophole we could work with. As for the poor who couldn't afford their air? That's just too bad.

I don't understand all this talk of "denying" a generation the opportunity to buy, or of necessarily "having to" wait until you have a mortgage around your neck to start a family.

This all smacks of the British (and Irish) cultural mores under which "rent is dead money" and you couldn't possibly get on with your life unless you have mortgage...sorry, 'own your home' (ho-hum).

There may be a case that aspirational first time buyers need to be weaned off 15-odd years of glossy mags, in-your-face celeb lifestyle ads and makeover TV programs, and consider reality rather than la-la-land.

You DO know who started the privatisation of our basic utilities, don't you?

Which is regulated by government and the rich pay the most, I’m sure there would be national uproar if it had inflated in price by 20% a year, or food had increased by 20% a years yet when shelter was increasing by 20% many thought it was a good thing.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 16:56 ----------

I don't understand all this talk of "denying" a generation the opportunity to buy, or of necessarily "having to" wait until you have a mortgage around your neck to start a family.

This all smacks of the British (and Irish) cultural mores under which "rent is dead money" and you couldn't possibly get on with your life unless you have mortgage...sorry, 'own your home' (ho-hum).

There may be a case that aspirational first time buyers need to be weaned off 15-odd years of glossy mags, in-your-face celeb lifestyle ads and makeover TV programs, and consider reality rather than la-la-land.

It’s the rent round their necks that is the problem, mortgage are eventually paid off whilst rent remain for life and the payments are higher and increase each year.

If rent were affordable you would have a point, the point is that buying is cheaper than renting, but because of the high prices first time buyers are finding it impossible to buy, it's not because they can't afford the monthly payments its because they can't raise the deposit to get the mortgage, and when they do find an house they can afford some greedy buy to let landlord outbids them for it, which forces them to pay over the odds for accommodation, just to fund the lavish lifestyle of those that own the property.

It’s the rent round their necks that is the problem, mortgage are eventually paid off whilst rent remain for life and the payments are higher and increase each year.
That's an incontrovertible variable, which has always existed. Do you think every current homeowner was always a homeowner and did not have to rent/save for a deposit at one stage or another?

If rent were affordable you would have a point,
Rents are as affordable today as they've ever been, relative to earnings.

the point is that buying is cheaper than renting, but because of the high prices first time buyers are finding impossible to buy, it not because they could afford the mouthy payments its because they can't raise the deposit to get the mortgage.
So...don't drive a newish Audi, drive an old Peugeot. Don't go on hols abroad, visit relatives and local points of interest. Don't go down the pub twice a week, but twice a month. Etc.

Exactly what I did in the late 90s, eventually had enough of a deposit in '99 (only because I did not want to borrow any higher than 3x combined income) and bought in Rawmarsh, rather Moorgate or Wickersley.

It is, and has always been, a question of priorities. Noone can have their cake and eating it - still.

That's an incontrovertible variable, which has always existed. Do you think every current homeowner was always a homeowner and did not have to rent/save for a deposit at one stage or another?

I didn't rent or save untill I wanted an house, my deposit was a couple of monthes wages.

My kids have saved and done without many of the things I took for granted, they still can't afford afford the first house I bought.

Rents are as affordable today as they've ever been, relative to earnings.

Rent took about 20% of my father’s wage, but rent takes 40% of my daughters wage.

Rents soar to record levels

First-time buyers in a 'lose-lose' situation as saving for a deposit becomes harder and competition for cheap rentals intensifies

So...don't drive a newish Audi, drive an old Peugeot. Don't go on hols abroad, visit relatives and local points of interest. Don't go down the pub twice a week, but twice a month. Etc.

I drove a car as does my daughter; I didn't pay such a high percentage of my wage on fuel though.

I went everywhere and did everything, went out drinking, nightclubbing, travelling, holidays, my daughter doesn’t do these thing because they are too expensive and rent takes too much of her money. I could afford an house she can’t.

Exactly what I did in the late 90s, eventually had enough of a deposit in '99 (only because I did not want to borrow any higher than 3x combined income) and bought in Rawmarsh, rather Moorgate or Wickersley.

Yes when housing was affordable and just before the property bubble which inflated prices out of the reach of many.

It is, and has always been, a question of priorities. Noone can have their cake and eating it - still.

I had my cake and ate it, my daughter can't even get the cake to eat, well she could but only with my help, sadly many youngsters don't have parents that can help.

Archived