Post Office put prices up by 150% on parcels

The lady in the post office was telling us that Ebay havent adjusted their maximum postage charges on certain items yet, so sellers should check before they list. This could turn out very costly if you had several items that were similar in size. You must check very carefully before stating a postage cost, as I must admit id not seen the notice on fleabay.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201303.shtml#2013-03-04095819

in announcements

I've used Hermes in the past for ebay sales , they are cheaper than the Royal Mail and will collect from your home for a few pence less than you delivering them to a Hermes agent [ often a local corner shop] . Certainly a case of ' size matters' for ebay sales in future .

I regret to say I have none left. Sergei was posted this morning to another collector, just like yourself, to an address somewhere in outer Milton Keynes. If I do learn of another stash of these hairy little grubers, I shall inform thee without haste. Cant say fairer than that, (unless you have a lisp).:suspect:

So you didn't exploit the system, where you buy insurance then keep claiming for meerkats over and over because they don't bother checking who or how many have been sent out?

I,m just about to list some things on Ebay and wondering what collect + is like, are there any drawbacks.

I've been using them for the past 3 months and haven't had 1 problem yet, I took parcels to their drop off point on 24th March they were delivered on 26th

Rarely use the Post Office now at all.

Dropping off at a Hermes Parcelshop or CollectPlus point is more convenient (24 hour opening at some stores or petrol stations) AND cheaper.

Speed is equivalent to RM standard parcels or 2nd class post.

The only issues I have had is delivery to remote locations and the problem there is that the delivery drivers are self-employed on a low "per parcel" rate. If an address is a 20 mile round trip to a rural address, the driver will wait until there are a few parcels on that route (would you do a 20 mile round trip in a van, paying the fuel, for 50p?)

CollectPlus is operated by Yodel - a courier I normally run a mile from but the CollectPlus service is used by some of their biggest clients (Littlewoods, Very etc) so they seem to take more care in that section than with their otherwise abysmal service.

I used to use C+ mostly, but since Hermes launched their Parcelshop service I use them for nearly everything.

I would say the risk with the budget services of loss is marginally higher than the PO - but the cost for a regular seller more than offsets the risk if a level of "acceptable loss" is factored into the margins (which any trade seller should be doing). For anything higher value, I tend to use DHL or UPS, via the Parcel2Go portal, which if you follow them on facebook, have regular discount codes, and also offer lower rates for larger parcels than buying direct from the courier.

For fast deliveries, UKMail (through their retail portal ipostparcels.com) takes some beating - and again worth following their facebook for discount codes (more sporadic than Parcel2Go

(Last year they had an 8% week-long code that they forgot to turn off - it only switched off when they changed it for that week a year later, so I had a year of 8% discount)

The couriers give you a discount for printing your own labels and dropping off at a collection point. If you want to print your own labels efficiently with Royal Mail, they charge you for their smartstamp software....

Useful links

Hermes: http://www.myhermes1.co.uk/

Collect+: http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

UKMail (ipostparcels): http://www.ipostparcels.com/

Parcel2Go: http://www.parcel2go.com

So you didn't exploit the system, where you buy insurance then keep claiming for meerkats over and over because they don't bother checking who or how many have been sent out?

Er, yes and no. 5 adults in our house, all have a car and two cats and a dog. That was eight toys just this year, plus we got some for the house insurance I think. Is that exploiting the system or is that just being a customer? Either way, I didnt steal them or rob them off gnvqvos. They were our property to do as we pleased with, and we decided to sell them on Fleabay, which I suppose is a reduction on the price of the premiums.

Er, yes and no. 5 adults in our house, all have a car and two cats and a dog. That was eight toys just this year, plus we got some for the house insurance I think. Is that exploiting the system or is that just being a customer? Either way, I didnt steal them or rob them off gnvqvos. They were our property to do as we pleased with, and we decided to sell them on Fleabay, which I suppose is a reduction on the price of the premiums.

My dad bought one lot of car insurance then kept claiming for meerkats one every week and they sent the lot :hihi:

I've been using them for the past 3 months and haven't had 1 problem yet, I took parcels to their drop off point on 24th March they were delivered on 26th

They sound ok and quick enough, l'll give them a go. I can't see me using Royal Mail ever again ,they've shot themselves in the foot big-time.

Archived