Post Office put prices up by 150% on parcels

Most private companies are cheaper than Royal Mail now.

Try one of the price comparison sites like: http://www.interparcel.com, http://www.collectplus.co.uk etc

They'll even come collect them from you (or you can go drop them off at your local corner shop).

Royal Mail isnow a relic of a bygone age.

Ive just put my details in Interparcel and its more expensive than the same couriers on parcel2go. That might be bceause my parcel is less than 1kg and I can't type the weight in on interparcel.

Took a parcel to post office today (a meercat sold on fleabay) and it usually costs £2.20 for this general size. The price has now gone up to £5.20 since Tuesday!!

The royal mail have changed the sizes of packets and parcels again. I dont know whether the post office realise what they have done, but there are a zillion people who sell on ebay regulary, and im sure that a lot of people will now choose an alternative way to post.

Royal Mail, its no wonder youre going down the pan.

Actually I discovered this on Saturday, as my package was slightly larger than 6.5" x6.5" x 6.5" or larger overall than that new slot my usual price rocketed up to around £9.20, so I posted it using Parcel Force, much better service, signed for, delivery guaranteed within either 24 or 48 hours and tons better than the royal mail standard system and ironically cheaper too.

They're pricing themselves out of the market big time, no more standard parcels to even more expensive to use 1st and 2nd class mail.

From experience please don't use Herpes (Hermes) as a service they are awful. To date they've delivered two parcels of mine, I haven't signed for either and they've just been left on the step in the rain soaking wet and one was stolen yet I signed for it, however was at work at the same time. Please explain this?

I really don't understand why the Royal Mail has had to put it's prices up at all. Last year its profits soared, mostly due to the increase in parcels being delivered from on line sales. They made 100 times as much as the year before. So why put the prices up which will surely start to kill off the online sales which have given them huge profits? Unless it is something to do with paving the way for the Royal Mail to be sold off, just as it is starting to make money!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/supportservices/9675042/Royal-Mail-profits-pave-way-for-privatisation.html

You've hit the nail on the head. More profit = RM is worth more when the imminent sell off happens.

Whoever said RM is going down the pan is right, but that will only happen after its been privatised, the very thing that so many people claim will improve it. RM is a public service currently and pays for itself as well as making profits, so it's hardly struggling.

Get used to price hikes, this is just a lead up to what will happen when RM is in private hands, within a decade there will be no daily delivery all over the country IMO.

1 kg weight:

If fits into small package rate: £3 1st class

If fits into large package rate: £5.65 1st class

Long gone of the days where you packed the item and weighed it on the kitchen scales so as to work out a cost.

You've hit the nail on the head. More profit = RM is worth more when the imminent sell off happens.

Whoever said RM is going down the pan is right, but that will only happen after its been privatised, the very thing that so many people claim will improve it. RM is a public service currently and pays for itself as well as making profits, so it's hardly struggling.

Get used to price hikes, this is just a lead up to what will happen when RM is in private hands, within a decade there will be no daily delivery all over the country IMO.

I agree, another energy/water/rail "saving" for us all to enjoy :(

I got another item delivered yesterday from eBay.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr34/bravo_2_zero/10e39eed3539cc9bab95a4c62d87cd8a.jpg

At very best it was the size of a regular shoe box and weighed nothing and was. £8 !!!!!! Usually things like this cost about £2.35.

It was an army jacket which I buy and sell and I sold 8 last month and the dearest was £4 and way bigger and heavier packed than this I got yesterday.

Royal mail are very quickly pricing themselves out of business.

Given the service I have had from them in the past I will not miss them.

OR they could be bringing themselves in line with other "parcel" carriers,i believe a letter by RM is still cheaper then DHL.

Guest busdriver1
OR they could be bringing themselves in line with other "parcel" carriers,i believe a letter by RM is still cheaper then DHL.

I have used other parcel carriers and in general have found them to be worth the extra. The main reason for using royal mail was although they are poor they are cheap. Now they are not cheap so it just leaves the fact they are poor. End of using Royal Mail for me.

Archived