Post Office put prices up by 150% on parcels

Like I say I totally agree , the price increase is outrageous , what can I do but only sympathise with the general public , but it's not the Post Office that have increased the prices . I understand that I will have to put up with everyone's grievances, but what do I do , walk out in protest and lose my job !!

How do you know that the Post Office haven't increased prices? The Post Office gets paid for collecting parcels, selling stamps and all its other activities involved with the mail. They all go towards the cost of postage. That's why closing Post Offices reduces the cost of the service.

Most private companies are cheaper than Royal Mail now.

Try one of the price comparison sites like: www.interparcel.com, www.collectplus.co.uk etc

They'll even come collect them from you (or you can go drop them off at your local corner shop).

Royal Mail isnow a relic of a bygone age.

Royal Mail is hamstrung by being a nationalised industry. You are all paying for the staff to be able to retire early on a big fat index linked pension.

The competition won't pay the same wages, will have higher productivity, and nowhere near the same pension liabilities.

The problem is by saving money and using the independents you still have the liability for the mail's pension fund. You will just have to fund more of it from general taxation.

Er, because it's Royal Mail that sets them?

Er... They don't.

The post office charges Royal Mail for the services it provides. So how do you know that they haven't increased those charges to take account of the Post Office's wage increases and extra heating bills etc?

http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/post-office-talks-break-down.html

Talks to resolve the ongoing dispute with the Post Office over pay and job security broke down this afternoon (Wednesday) after several of the union's key suggestions to move things forward were dismissed by the business.

Having taken the decision to put further strike action on hold after receiving a letter from Post Office boss Kevin Gilliland last week inviting the CWU to "discuss ways of resolving the current dispute", the CWU is "disappointed" that today's talks ended acrimoniously.

CWU national official and lead negotiator, Andy Furey said:, "It was clear that the Post Office had no intention of improving its pay offer and indeed expected us to sign up to their plans around transformation which is the very reason 88 per cent of our members voted for strike action in the first place.

"Evidently, the Post Office is in denial about the strength of feeling from our members in Crown Offices affected by this dispute.

"Further strike action is now inevitable," Andy concluded.

Er... They don't.

The post office charges Royal Mail for the services it provides. So how do you know that they haven't increased those charges to take account of the Post Office's wage increases and extra heating bills etc?

http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/post-office-talks-break-down.html

Talks to resolve the ongoing dispute with the Post Office over pay and job security broke down this afternoon (Wednesday) after several of the union's key suggestions to move things forward were dismissed by the business.

Having taken the decision to put further strike action on hold after receiving a letter from Post Office boss Kevin Gilliland last week inviting the CWU to "discuss ways of resolving the current dispute", the CWU is "disappointed" that today's talks ended acrimoniously.

CWU national official and lead negotiator, Andy Furey said:, "It was clear that the Post Office had no intention of improving its pay offer and indeed expected us to sign up to their plans around transformation which is the very reason 88 per cent of our members voted for strike action in the first place.

"Evidently, the Post Office is in denial about the strength of feeling from our members in Crown Offices affected by this dispute.

"Further strike action is now inevitable," Andy concluded.

Their overheads haven't increased by this percentage. They will cut their own throats if they go on strike. Couriers and email will take the strain of most small post and parcels so there won't be much left for the post office. A lot of business I deal with now have electronic communications where possible and they use couriers anyway. As a private individual I only used Royal mail for small items that have to be sent hard copy. Birthday cards don't go in the post unless they are being sent abroad even then they go with a relative if someone is visiting.

One day you will realise what a great service is provided by RM, i am fed up of getting home to find courier companies have left packets on the doorstep open to everyone passing to steal them or in the rain.

The prices have been too cheap for too long hence the big hit, RM still one of the cheapest in Europe,I think they are in the top two/three.

Again what everyone forgets is RM has to deliver to every address in every part of the UK 6 days a week,even when its a boat trip and then a 30 mile drive to deliver 1 letter,they are losing money on this service but the service still has to be provided this is well known and publicised, look at the Bigger picture and you all will realise you are missing the point, all the private couriers don't have to provide this service, they are not regulated do not get fined for Quality of Service failures, losses, complaints, do I need to go on, it's a free for all for private couriers....

it's about time this country starts backing the public companies that have not been ruined by privatisation yet, I am sure people will be moaning when it costs a £1.50 to post a letter under private ownership or £1000 to have an operation when the NHS is no longer state owned, get ready for it...it will be like America before you know it...

Enjoy the good times..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest busdriver1
Again what everyone forgets is RM has to deliver to every address in every part of the UK 6 days a week,even when its a boat trip and then a 30 mile drive to deliver 1 letter,they are losing money on this service but the service still has to be provided this is well known and publicised, look at the Bigger picture and you all will realise you are missing the point, all the private couriers don't have to provide this service, they are not regulated do not get fined for Quality of Service failures, losses, complaints, do I need to go on, Enjoy the good times..

Yes royal mail have a charter, they also fail miserably in delivering on it otherwise they would not get fined for failing so often.

I had serious issues with the tapton hill office refusing to carry small packages with them and just posting "while you were out" cards. I sent them a video of a van pulling up, the driver getting out and posting the card without even trying to deliver it. When I dashed out and caught him the package was not even in the van. I had dozens of letters not delivered and had to pay an excess on a parking ticket i did not know I had because it was not delivered. These were not one offs, this was daily. The manager there refused to act saying it would never happen. And you have the nerve to say enjoy the good times. Royal mail is a rest home for the mentally retarded and bone idle and should be closed now.

Took a parcel to post office today (a meercat sold on fleabay) and it usually costs £2.20 for this general size. The price has now gone up to £5.20 since Tuesday!!

The royal mail have changed the sizes of packets and parcels again. I dont know whether the post office realise what they have done, but there are a zillion people who sell on ebay regulary, and im sure that a lot of people will now choose an alternative way to post.

Royal Mail, its no wonder youre going down the pan.

i felt like i had been fleeced when i took my niece's present to the post office. it was only a barbie doll, not even heavy. they are judging them by size now, you get parcel (small) and parcel (medium).

• 2 weeks later...

Bought 10 baby vests from ebay for £2.10, with £3 postage.

Just recieved them and the seller had packed them into a box with plenty of space, and had paid £5.20 for 2nd class. Thats 10p more than I paid her, I feel quite bad actually.

Someone said above that they are charging by size? Had she squashed them into a mailing bag rather than a box (which is about 8x8x4 inches) would she have paid less?

Archived