The Cartoon protests megathread

I was watching the news earlier and up popped the protests and I was acctually digusted.

For one thing;

They were burning european flags - if they hate europe that much because of these cartoons or whatever then WHY live here???

And for another thing;

They are using threats there are banners saying things like "Europe remember 9/11" and "Europe take some lessons from 9/11" those are, no matter how people argue or anything, threats.

And yet there were people saying it was a peaceful protest! If threats and posters of islamic followers stabbing people and slitting throats (there were also large cartoonisic posters which they had made) then I'm afraid in my idea that ain't peacefull. Fair enough they are angry but no way is that a peacefull protest. If they are going to threaten europe and burn the flags then why the hell do they live here?!

they want a free ride

Who cares?.... so what you are saying is that if someone offends your religion then the whole of Europe is gonna pay?.... good job you can distance yourself from the likes of Osama and Saddam.... You don't and didn't see mass rallies with hate banners marching the streets against Muslims by Europeans when another British soldier is killed in Iraq or Afghanistan ( both places you have indicated you would not shed a tear for ) Have your religious brothers not cartooned the Jewish and Catholic faiths in the past in a most uncomplimentary way? and did we see such childish behaviour in response?

There will come a time of retribution but I doubt that Europe will be on the receiving end from such a primitive belief.

well bloody said............................................

I was watching the news earlier and up popped the protests and I was acctually digusted.

I saw a placard saying "Europe is a cancer - Islam is the cure".

If that's the case i'd rather die, thanks. Such placards do more to incite racial hatred in me than anything the BNP have produced.

Just to drop my penneth worth in.

This exactly why we should get rid of religion in the world.

For gods sakes, its a bloody cartoon!

What is the world coming to nowadays when people are going mental over a cartoon published in the papers??

David Davis has called for the arrest of those carrying messages that were clearly inciting murder and violence (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/05/nflag05.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_05022006)

Personally, I find the protests disgusting. I find it unbelievable that the police didn't make arrests there and then (interestingly, the 2 arrests they did make were 2 people carrying placards of *the* cartoon, and not any Muslims carrying placards wishing death on innocent people). Something needs to be done about this, and fast, or we're going to have a civil war on our hands some day.

We simply cannot tolerate people who wish death on us on the basis of some cartoon printed in Denmark that dares to make a joke of their precious religion. Lock them up, and deport them where applicable.

Incidentally, a question to our Muslim members - do YOU believe that wishing death on innocent people (including those responsible for the cartoon) is an ordinate response?

David Davis has called for the arrest of those carrying messages that were clearly inciting murder and violence (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/05/nflag05.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_05022006)

Personally, I find the protests disgusting. I find it unbelievable that the police didn't make arrests there and then (interestingly, the 2 arrests they did make were 2 people carrying placards of *the* cartoon, and not any Muslims carrying placards wishing death on innocent people). Something needs to be done about this, and fast, or we're going to have a civil war on our hands some day.

We simply cannot tolerate people who wish death on us on the basis of some cartoon printed in Denmark that dares to make a joke of their precious religion. Lock them up, and deport them where applicable.

Incidentally, a question to our Muslim members - do YOU believe that wishing death on innocent people (including those responsible for the cartoon) is an ordinate response?

Nope, cant say I can condone wishing death on any innocent person. However I'll also say that just like the whole cartoon episode was based on am unawareness of how Muslims hold the Prophet Mohammed. To Muslims, its like taking the 'michael' out of someone's parents but WORSE.

This may be another case of getting worked up about nothing. Just like 'handbag' moment in say football where in the heat of the moment guys get all 'aggressive' but nothing really ever comes of it.

In different cultures and you see it alot in Asia, people come out and chant 'Death to ' so and so. We've been seeing 'Death to Israel' slogans in Iran for decades but I've not yet heard about anyone who protested in Tehran ever going onto strapping on explosives and detonating them in Tel-Aviv. They feel strongly about the abused commited by Israel but not enough for them to drop everything and blow themselves up.

I just feel that there will always be a small minority in the younger generations who are more 'militant' and vocal in their expressions and in many cases easy mislead.

It definately sends out the wrong signal for Muslims, and in all honesty does not reflect the majority.

Nope, cant say I can condone wishing death on any innocent person. However I'll also say that just like the whole cartoon episode was based on am unawareness of how Muslims hold the Prophet Mohammed. To Muslims, its like taking the 'michael' out of someone's parents but WORSE.

This may be another case of getting worked up about nothing. Just like 'handbag' moment in say football where in the heat of the moment guys get all 'aggressive' but nothing really ever comes of it.

In different cultures and you see it alot in Asia, people come out and chant 'Death to ' so and so. We've been seeing 'Death to Israel' slogans in Iran for decades but I've not yet heard about anyone who protested in Tehran ever going onto strapping on explosives and detonating them in Tel-Aviv. They feel strongly about the abused commited by Israel but not enough for them to drop everything and blow themselves up.

I just feel that there will always be a small minority in the younger generations who are more 'militant' and vocal in their expressions and in many cases easy mislead.

It definately sends out the wrong signal for Muslims, and in all honesty does not reflect the majority.

But this is not some Muslim country (yet...) in Asia, this is Britain. Peaceful protests are fine, but there is no place in our *civilised* society for people waving around placards inciting mass murder. Muslims may place an (misguided and misplaced) importance on their religion, but that doesn't mean it should be an untouchable subject and it certainly doesn't excuse them from wishing death on anyone.

Best-selling author and Muslim dissident Ibn Warraq argues that freedom of expression is our western heritage and we must defend it against attacks from totalitarian societies. If the west does not stand in solidarity with the Danish, he argues, then the Islamization of Europe will have begun in earnest.

The great British philosopher John Stuart Mill wrote in On Liberty, “Strange it is, that men should admit the validity of the arguments for free discussion, but object to their being ‘pushed to an extreme’; not seeing that unless the reasons are good for an extreme case, they are not good for any case.”

The cartoons in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten raise the most important question of our times: freedom of expression. Are we in the west going to cave into pressure from societies with a medieval mindset, or are we going to defend our most precious freedom — freedom of expression, a freedom for which thousands of people sacrificed their lives?

A democracy cannot survive long without freedom of expression, the freedom to argue, to dissent, even to insult and offend. It is a freedom sorely lacking in the Islamic world, and without it Islam will remain unassailed in its dogmatic, fanatical, medieval fortress; ossified, totalitarian and intolerant. Without this fundamental freedom, Islam will continue to stifle thought, human rights, individuality; originality and truth.

Unless, we show some solidarity, unashamed, noisy, public solidarity with the Danish cartoonists, then the forces that are trying to impose on the Free West a totalitarian ideology will have won; the Islamization of Europe will have begun in earnest. Do not apologize.

Archived