The Cartoon protests megathread

I Concerning the recent furore... I consider this to be a neat summary.

"I have noticed outrage from muslims about the cartoons, but I have not noticed similar outrage from muslims concerning the devastation and carnage that radical Islamists have caused..." Paraphrased from a 'Net comment, no link given out of deference to the expressed wishes of this site-owner, as the page shows the cartoons mentioned.

Actually, BBC news, last night (not seen the news, at all, today so cannot comment on that) DID have some moderate Muslims on who spoke against the "fanatical element" saying

"Well, I am offended, as a Muslim, by these cartoons but I am not protesting in this way, I don't think this form of protest is very productive"

I would not go so far as to say that I am outraged, but I do think it is unfair to ridicule someone elses religion.

PT

Actually, BBC news, last night (not seen the news, at all, today so cannot comment on that) DID have some moderate Muslims on who spoke against the "fanatical element" saying

"Well, I am offended, as a Muslim, by these cartoons but I am not protesting in this way, I don't think this form of protest is very productive"

I would not go so far as to say that I am outraged, but I do think it is unfair to ridicule someone elses religion.

PT

You have the right to your opinion.... but your opinion is not a right to the fanatics.... ever thought of that?

You have the right to your opinion.... but your opinion is not a right to the fanatics.... ever thought of that?

My sig line used to be a quote from a us senator

"You have the right to your own opinions, but you do not have the right to your own facts"

PT

On another thread about this same issue a poster provided a link to some cartoons that appeared in the Arab press, from Jordan and Saudi Arabia, depicting Jews. Frankly they were as bad as the Nazi propaganda of the 1930's. When Jews can be depicted like this with all the sinister connotations of gas chambers and holocaust then I think its a bit rich to riot over the portrayal of Mohammed with a bomb in his turban.

My understanding is this is par for the course and as often as not is invariably swept under the carpet as being hyper-sensitive etc and well covered on what other SF users called the zionist Melanie Phillips (http://www.melanie.phillips.com).

PT

So the so-called moderate opinion is that the protests weren't "very productive". Is this the best they can do? Calling for mass murder is a little worse than not "very productive". How about abhorrent?

In a (relatively) free country, such as the UK, religious devotees have the right to respect their god(s), follow the teachings of their faith and abide by its rules and restrictions, insofar as this does not impinge on the freedom of others.

They do NOT have the right to expect non-believers to conform to the laws and customs of their religion... The sooner that this fact is realised and accepted... if it ever can be... the better for all concerned.

It's becoming apparent that our acceptance of others with regard to their beliefs, is being steadily eroded by the actions of religious fanatics. The current outbreak of protests about the publication of what are to many of us, innocuous cartoons, is yet another incident, serving only to fan the flame of resentment starting to be felt by many previously tolerant inhabitants of this country.

100% in agreement with you.... the worrying thing is these "people" live amongst us..... what is more worrying is what the police didn't do about it at the time.... could you imagine a "pack" of Brits carrying banners with death threats to all Muslims roaming the streets for long?.... I think they would be well and truly locked up.... there should be no double standards in law.... the law is the law and it is not a Muslim law here.... yet! but maybe this is the start unless we put an end to it now.

Whats worse, someone being silly and carrying banners with stupid provocative messages OR our 'understanding' govt(s) which have in the last couple of decades killed more muslim civilians than the so called terrorists.

Double standards is when you place sanctions on a whole nation, which result in the death of half a million, HALF A MILLION INNOCENT CHILDREN and then our allies (the self rightouse leader of the Free World) say its a price worth paying, but dont worry we've got Saddam on trial for the deaths of a hundred or so people :)

lol, Double Standards ? When we can invade a sovereign nation with NO legal basis, with evidence thats collated by a simple search of Google ?

Its always nice to talk about 'Double Standards' and 'Hypocracy'.

In a (relatively) free country, such as the UK, religious devotees have the right to respect their god(s), follow the teachings of their faith and abide by its rules and restrictions, insofar as this does not impinge on the freedom of others.

They do NOT have the right to expect non-believers to conform to the laws and customs of their religion... The sooner that this fact is realised and accepted... if it ever can be... the better for all concerned.

It's becoming apparent that our acceptance of others with regard to their beliefs, is being steadily eroded by the actions of religious fanatics. The current outbreak of protests about the publication of what are to many of us, innocuous cartoons, is yet another incident, serving only to fan the flame of resentment starting to be felt by many previously tolerant inhabitants of this country.

Couldn't have worded it any better, you have put into words what i was thinking. Great post

It is interesting the angle Doncastrian put on it relating to the anti-Jewish cartoon/article. Smacks of Hyprocisy IMO

Ultimately its not a question of Freedom of Expression as many people would make it out to be. NO ONE disputes the right to Freedom of Expression.

What is in question is the motives and the sense of what was expressed.

I certainly hope that the Danish Editor, sits back and reflects on whether his decision to print the Cartoons was worth the reaction, both from a perspective of human relations and also from an economic perspective. I'm sure the families of those workers who have lost their jobs as a result of his wisdom will no doubt be thanking him.

Archived