The Cartoon protests megathread

For a slightly more in depth look at why this happened, and why there is a huge protest about illustrations that were never published, listen to R4 tomorrow at 13:30.

I think I know the answer to this already. Apparently, some muslim clerics resident in Denmark went on a mission to various middle eastern countries with the intention of alerting fellow muslims abroad to the disrepectful way in which their religion was being treated. They took with them not only the cartoons, but also others which were not published (nor even part of the original set). Several of these were much more controversial than the published cartoons. These clerics therefore played a crucial role in fomenting or stoking up the crisis (for reasons best known to themselves).

The incident is very reminiscent of the Salman Rushdie affair. On this occasion, it was a muslim group in Bradford which alerted their fellow muslims in Pakistan, Iran and elsewhere to the contents of the book (I doubt whether Rushdie ever had a large readership in Iran, for example).

I think I know the answer to this already. Apparently, some muslim clerics resident in Denmark went on a mission to various middle eastern countries with the intention of alerting fellow muslims abroad

The incident is very reminiscent of the Salman Rushdie affair. On this occasion, it was a muslim group in Bradford which alerted their fellow muslims in Pakistan, Iran and elsewhere to the contents of the book (I doubt whether Rushdie ever had a large readership in Iran, for example).

Yes exactly. I believe that is what is going to be looked at - pretty much what I surmised earlier from various web sources.

Apparently the only people to publish a picture of the prophet Mohamed, with the face of a pig, ranting into a microphone and a picture of a dog humping a muslim at prayer, were the Danish Imams. No-one published these pictures apart from them. Allegedly... we shall see.

Interesting to know that a weekly paper in Jakarta, the capital of the largest Muslim population in the world, thought that it could show copies of the cartoons in an article.

They quickly got into hot water but it goes to show that "they" do not all think alike.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20060208.G02

By the very nature of the belief that such images should not be reproduced, it is unlikely that most of the protestors, overseas, have actually seen the cartoons.

The Danish Cartoons (Originalyy published in September) were in a major Egyptian paper in October:

http://egyptiansandmonkey.blogspot.com/2006/02/boycott-egypt.html

And yet nothing happened - why could that be?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=19140_The_Lying_Danish_Imams&only

You will not hear anything about this on the BBC etc...it's best to keep us uninformed massess, well, uninformed you see!

They took with them not only the cartoons, but also others which were not published (nor even part of the original set). Several of these were much more controversial than the published cartoons.

Not only were they not published, but one of the 'cartoons' included in their casebook was actually a poor reproduction of an entrant in a french "Pig Squealing Contest" - and nothing to do with Mohamed at all......

Curiouser and Curiouser

Not only were they not published, but one of the 'cartoons' included in their casebook was actually a poor reproduction of an entrant in a french "Pig Squealing Contest" - and nothing to do with Mohamed at all......

Curiouser and Curiouser

Within some elements of the muslim world, and within the muslim disapora in Europe, there is a kind of free floating aggressiveness which is constantly seeking outlets by reacting to perceived slights of one kind or another. Had it not been these cartoons, it would have been something else (and indeed in all likelihood it will be something else). To put it bluntly, some of these elements are spoiling for a fight.

Within some elements of the muslim world, and within the muslim disapora in Europe, there is a kind of free floating aggressiveness which is constantly seeking outlets by reacting to perceived slights of one kind or another. Had it not been these cartoons, it would have been something else (and indeed in all likelihood it will be something else). To put it bluntly, some of these elements are spoiling for a fight.

From: http://dailyablution.blogs.com/the_daily_ablution/2006/02/a_plea_for_unde.html

Continuing our quest for greater cultural understanding, a look at further results from the same survey indicates that nearly one in four (23%) of respondents is unwilling to answer "no" to the following question:

"Are there any circumstances under which suicide bombings can ever be justified in Britain?"

While only 7% are willing to tell a pollster that such attacks are definitely justifiable (a figure supported by previous surveys), that percentage increases significantly - to 12% - among the 18-24 year old age group. Assuming a similar sentiment among 16 and 17 year-olds, and accounting for the fact that 18.2% of the nation's 1.6 million Muslims are aged 16-24, an extrapolation of the results suggests that about 35,000 people in that age group alone - and about 74,000 of the over 15s nationwide - are willing to justify suicide attacks on British soil.

We can only speculate, of course, as to how many of those are willing to act as suicide bombers themselves - obviously it would be a much smaller number. Although it's ultimately only guesswork, it becomes an interesting mental exercise to ask oneself: "What if, say, 2.5% of the 16-24 year olds willing to tell pollsters that suicide attacks are justifiable are also willing to carry them out?"

You just can't think "out of the box" it has to involve religion and the promotion or defence of it, can you? I see your faith in a "true light" now. Ever heard of the term "Brain washed?" and what a silly question to which you do not deserve an answer. Thinking outside the box means to stand outside the situation and look in but when a person has fixed and determined views this is often very difficult.

It depends on how each of us defines our 'box'.

You call it religion, I call it values and beliefs.

lol, brainwashed ?

There is some real hypocracy going on.

Tell me this, why is it that in the third world where there higher levels of illiteracy, the people STILL know what is going on in the world, yet in the land of the literate most people dont have a clue about the wider world and what is happening ? Most people could tell you what happened in Big Brother but probably have no idea of anything that isnt reported in a tabloid.

Whose 'actually' brainwashed ?

Archived