The Cartoon protests megathread

OK, making sense :thumbsup:

I am still living in a 1980s timewarp, where the Taliban are being provided weapons and supplies by the CIA, and are helping Rambo kick the commies out of Afghanistan.

Is Gorbachev still in power? I'm hoping the Berlin Wall comes down soon.

Ahh that old chesnut:

"As Richard Miniter, the author of a book on President Bill Clinton's failures regarding the hunt for bin Laden, noted two years ago, there were two separate rebellions against the Soviets: a local rebellion, and a rebellion made up of foreign Islamic extremists.

The former was funded, in part, by the CIA while the latter was funded by Saudi Arabia. Not only has the CIA denied ever funding or training bin Laden, so has bin Laden himself. In an interview with Robert Fisk in the Sudan in 1996, he said: "Personally, neither I nor my brothers saw evidence of American help." This has been repeated since in another interview..."

Next!

Who did we get rid of from Afghanistan? The Taliban.

What were they? Fundamentalist Islamic terrorists/regime.

What did they get up to then? Ohhh just the total and absolute suppression of all forms of free speech and even music.

Get the link now?

Sorry to pick, but they're still there, and quite popular.

Not only has the CIA denied ever funding or training bin Laden, so has bin Laden himself. In an interview with Robert Fisk in the Sudan in 1996, he said: "Personally, neither I nor my brothers saw evidence of American help."

According to some reports, even Osama may not have known the CIA were assisting, as such aid would have been provided covertly:

Pakistan's ISI (Inter Services Intelligence) was used as a "go-between". The CIA covert support to the "jihad" operated indirectly through the Pakistani ISI, --i.e. the CIA did not channel its support directly to the Mujahideen. In other words, for these covert operations to be "successful", Washington was careful not to reveal the ultimate objective of the "jihad", which consisted in destroying the Soviet Union.

In the words of CIA's Milton Beardman "We didn't train Arabs". Yet according to Abdel Monam Saidali, of the Al-aram Center for Strategic Studies in Cairo, bin Laden and the "Afghan Arabs" had been imparted "with very sophisticated types of training that was allowed to them by the CIA"

and there's more:

In 1979 "the largest covert operation in the history of the CIA" was launched in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in support of the pro-Communist government of Babrak Kamal.:

With the active encouragement of the CIA and Pakistan's ISI, who wanted to turn the Afghan jihad into a global war waged by all Muslim states against the Soviet Union, some 35,000 Muslim radicals from 40 Islamic countries joined Afghanistan's fight between 1982 and 1992. Tens of thousands more came to study in Pakistani madrasahs. Eventually more than 100,000 foreign Muslim radicals were directly influenced by the Afghan jihad.

All taken from Who is Osama bin laden?

It talks about the heroin trade too:

The history of the drug trade in Central Asia is intimately related to the CIA's covert operations. Prior to the Soviet-Afghan war, opium production in Afghanistan and Pakistan was directed to small regional markets. There was no local production of heroin. In this regard, Alfred McCoy's study confirms that within two years of the onslaught of the CIA operation in Afghanistan, "the Pakistan-Afghanistan borderlands became the world's top heroin producer, supplying 60 percent of U.S. demand. In Pakistan, the heroin-addict population went from near zero in 1979... to 1.2 million by 1985 -- a much steeper rise than in any other nation":

And then goes on to mention oil reserves in Central Asia.

IMPORTANT NOTE

I'm supplying these links as a reference to back up my claims. It doesn't mean I support Osama bin Laden, or Saddam Hussein, or the cleric with one hand. I have to mention this, because these arguments always end up with me being accused of being a terrorist sympathiser.

Many thanks

According to some reports, even Osama may not have known the CIA were assisting, as such aid would have been provided covertly:

Pakistan's ISI (Inter Services Intelligence) was used as a "go-between". The CIA covert support to the "jihad" operated indirectly through the Pakistani ISI, --i.e. the CIA did not channel its support directly to the Mujahideen. In other words, for these covert operations to be "successful", Washington was careful not to reveal the ultimate objective of the "jihad", which consisted in destroying the Soviet Union.

In the words of CIA's Milton Beardman "We didn't train Arabs". Yet according to Abdel Monam Saidali, of the Al-aram Center for Strategic Studies in Cairo, bin Laden and the "Afghan Arabs" had been imparted "with very sophisticated types of training that was allowed to them by the CIA"

and there's more:

In 1979 "the largest covert operation in the history of the CIA" was launched in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in support of the pro-Communist government of Babrak Kamal.:

With the active encouragement of the CIA and Pakistan's ISI, who wanted to turn the Afghan jihad into a global war waged by all Muslim states against the Soviet Union, some 35,000 Muslim radicals from 40 Islamic countries joined Afghanistan's fight between 1982 and 1992. Tens of thousands more came to study in Pakistani madrasahs. Eventually more than 100,000 foreign Muslim radicals were directly influenced by the Afghan jihad.

All taken from Who is Osama bin laden?

It talks about the heroin trade too:

The history of the drug trade in Central Asia is intimately related to the CIA's covert operations. Prior to the Soviet-Afghan war, opium production in Afghanistan and Pakistan was directed to small regional markets. There was no local production of heroin. In this regard, Alfred McCoy's study confirms that within two years of the onslaught of the CIA operation in Afghanistan, "the Pakistan-Afghanistan borderlands became the world's top heroin producer, supplying 60 percent of U.S. demand. In Pakistan, the heroin-addict population went from near zero in 1979... to 1.2 million by 1985 -- a much steeper rise than in any other nation":

And then goes on to mention oil reserves in Central Asia.

IMPORTANT NOTE

I'm supplying these links as a reference to back up my claims. It doesn't mean I support Osama bin Laden, or Saddam Hussein, or the cleric with one hand. I have to mention this, because these arguments always end up with me being accused of being a terrorist sympathiser.

Many thanks

What about my Pot Noodle offer?

Abdul,

I apologise if I have missed you saying something before.

Without knowing you or your friends:

If I draw a cartoon "ridiculing" Islam and show it to you would I be in trouble?

If I draw a cartoon "ridiculing" Mohammed/Allah and show it to you would I be in trouble?

If I did the same and showed it to others would I be in trouble?

Now, if I knew you and you friends very well (grown up through school with friendship) would the same apply?

Archived