The Cartoon protests megathread

Probably think this thread has about run its course to be honest, just one thought.Was watching tv last night and a chap made a comment about british people religous and non religous being the "minority" in this country in the next fifty years.Seems the willof the majority is on its way out?, that was my take on his comments anyway.

I know it sounds daft this but, thinking about this (on waking this morning....yes SF does this to me sometimes) and before rising, I tried to imagine what it would be like to be an original immigrant (legal), coming into Britain so many years ago to desire and start a new life for his family.

Full of hope, some trepidation, and with a wish for a new life here.

I also also tried to think about what I would feel like if I was born second generation to this original family.

Just try to put yourself in their place, as I tried to do.

It's not been a "breeze" coming here to live has it?

As for their children born in Britain, who are British.....it must be even harder.

Somehow, we have to break down the barriers between the Races, and give and take has to be taken by both persuasions.

Can't really expand further on this post........just thinking that a compromise has to be reached which gives the indigenous population a feeling that we will not be subject to a 3rd Column take over by Islam, and in a way that the original immigrants and their children will feel really part of our society.

I think my mother will weep if I translated this to her. She probably wouldn't believe me. Not that she would understand it all since she never had an education.

I am touched to even know that you just 'thought' about such things.

The first generation of British born ethnic minorities will play the 'tug-o-war' game between holding onto values and culture which their parents were brought up in, to accepting and wanting to be part of the British culture (e.g. drinking), cos it's what's happening in front of them. Then there would be loyalty issues of who they would support if Britain ever fought in the land that their parents were brought up in. Plus, should they go back to the Commonwealth country and homeland of their parents to bring up their future families ? Despite all they know is the country they're brought up in ?

The entire thing should be layed to rest now. I still keep reading of rants in the press from ethnic groups who condemn the cartoons. Let it go, most of us agree and it's gone. Have two mins breath because the BNP leaflets are on the way out to you!

Shoeshine, good post and i agree with most things but not all. I feel the younger one have had it easier than the parents. Maybe this is a bad thing? I tend to find the older generation respectful as i am to them, some of the youth though seems to carry this massive chip on their shoulders and revel in it.

But for Muslims it surely doesn't matter what religion you are, if you're not a Muslim you're potentially an enemy ??

I find this statement obtuse as your understanding of the muslim faith is what the media show on tv and newspapers, abu hamza does NOT represent islam, like fanatical christians dont represent christianity and fanatical jews dont represent judaism.

Things such as Hama's leaders actually gave a helpline number to churches in gaza if they were in fear of any muslims attacking them in response to these publications yet this fact wasnt widely publicised.

Shoeshine, good post and i agree with most things but not all. I feel the younger one have had it easier than the parents. Maybe this is a bad thing? I tend to find the older generation respectful as i am to them, some of the youth though seems to carry this massive chip on their shoulders and revel in it.

Though,to be honest,this probably has as much to do with their age as their ethnicity.Most white teenagers I know walk round believing the world owes them a living - or that having an attitude and badly-fitting trousers makes them akin to 50 cent:rolleyes:

Though,to be honest,this probably has as much to do with their age as their ethnicity.Most white teenagers I know walk round believing the world owes them a living - or that having an attitude and badly-fitting trousers makes them akin to 50 cent:rolleyes:

partly true AM, although i work in the public and can see a difference between how white/asain youth act and respond to authority.

I find this statement obtuse as your understanding of the muslim faith is what the media show on tv and newspapers, abu hamza does NOT represent islam, like fanatical christians dont represent christianity and fanatical jews dont represent judaism.

Things such as Hama's leaders actually gave a helpline number to churches in gaza if they were in fear of any muslims attacking them in response to these publications yet this fact wasnt widely publicised.

Funny how you never get the media reporting this, though: Iran: police prevent women from watching football match, so if you're a woman, you can't even watch a football match in Iran.

Archived