The Cartoon protests megathread

But even if they are eventually convicted and banged up (or bunged up, as Wendy might say), the problem won't stop there. It has become quite well known that some of our prisons have become recruiting grounds for islamic fanatics (the 'shoe bomber' Richard Read and the ex-con dressed as a suicide bomber during the recent cartoon protests are cases in point).

There is a real danger that the placard wielding fanatics will use their time inside in order to convert other muslims in jail to their way of thinking. As with so many other things in this field, the authorities appear to have been painfully slow to recognise and take effective measures to deal with this problem.

Isn't it more dangerous for people with these views to be in the general public and able to preach hate without any form of restriction?

What solution do you think the Met should take? Let them off just because they might be recruited by Islamic extremists in prison in the evidence of two cases?

Isn’t this woman carrying such a placard denying the holocaust? She is in my view! I know it isn’t law in this country, as in the likes of Austria which has been in the news recently. Should we simply accept what is written? Or stand up and question the ideas and views behind such writing?

Isn't it more dangerous for people with these views to be in the general public and able to preach hate without any form of restriction?

What solution do you think the Met should take? Let them off just because they might be recruited by Islamic extremists in prison in the evidence of two cases?

Isn’t this woman carrying such a placard denying the holocaust? She is in my view! I know it isn’t law in this country, as in the likes of Austria which has been in the news recently. Should we simply accept what is written? Or stand up and question the ideas and views behind such writing?

Serapis, I'm not saying that we should let them off - quite the opposite. All I am saying here is that we sure also be alert to the danger they present inside prisons as well as outside them. Therefore there should be stringent restrictions on what they are able to do and say within jails.

Serapis, I'm not saying that we should let them off - quite the opposite. All I am saying here is that we sure also be alert to the danger they present inside prisons as well as outside them. Therefore there should be stringent restrictions on what they are able to do and say within jails.

Arh, my apologies for misunderstanding your post.

its not safe to send them to Belmarsh apparently - its all ready full of Muslim extremists if you believe the media.

I'd make them all do 'community service' - perhaps cleaning up dog **** from the streets or collecting litter from outside takeaways - always the worse place for it I find.

Wendygs,

My reason for this post was sparked by the fact the Shadow Home Secretary David Davis is asking the very same question. Mr Davis knows full well the time scales and still sees no reason why there have been no arrests. In order to arrest someone all you need is evidence of which the Met have plenty of, therefore there is real reason for the delay.

David Davis's Letter to the Home Secretary:

Going by your comments about the length of time it takes before you can arrest someone, why did it only take a few minutes for Mr Wolfgang to be arrested for heckling the Foreign secretary?

I think you are getting confused with arresting someone and taking them in for questioning and charging someone with an offence.

Think you may be right. Most of my experience of the legal system is most thankfully generally confined to civil rather than criminal law. :P

Maybe, anyone arrested, charged, convicted and sentenced to prison for such public disorder/insiting racial hatred, should spend their whole sentence in solitary confinement - prison's are currently a joke anyway.

I don't see anyone laughing.

Have you been in any prisons fierysatsuma or are you just basing this opinion on what the Daily Mail and the Currant Bun are saying?

I'm speaking from my experience in the field of law, although I am no criminal lawyer, but a colleague is. Allegedly 'clients' have suggested , following their previous 'hands on' experience, that playing snooker and watching TV all day is not exactly 'hard time'.

Are you speaking from a particular experience? If its not true I would very much like to hear your views on 'life inside', pardon the expression.

Archived