The Cartoon protests megathread

Aarrgggh - I take it back, he was serious.....

I'm speaking,fierysatsuma as someone who has visited prison (Armley),Rampton, and worked for the last eight years in a secure psychiatric unit. Not directly comparable I know but there are many parallels to be drawn.

Yes, people in my establishment (as do many prisoners at "real" prisons) had access to a pool/snooker table , to a television and (God forbid, horror of horrors) a Playstation.

They were treated with courtesy, respect and got reasonable food. We never beat or humiliated people and only ever isolated them as a last resort where it was absolutely necessary.....

But, what I think the people who complain about how "soft" our prisons are consistently underestimate is how horrible it is simply to be deprived of one's liberty; to have to ask everytime you want to go anywhere, to be unable to choose your own bedtime,food or access to outdoors - to be forced to share your space with people you don't like, to be denied the freedom to talk to family and friends; have a beer or a smoke when you want one...Enforced idleness is a terrible thing and can turn intelligent men and women into pale shadows of their former selves.

There is also the threat of violence, which can be appallingly wearing and tiresome for those locked up and those who care for them.

In short, being locked up, with or without TV's and all the rest, is for most people, a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

I'm speaking,fierysatsuma as someone who has visited prison (Armley),Rampton, and worked for the last eight years in a secure psychiatric unit. Not directly comparable I know but there are many parallels to be drawn.

Yes, people in my establishment (as do many prisoners at "real" prisons) had access to a pool/snooker table , to a television and (God forbid, horror of horrors) a Playstation.

They were treated with courtesy, respect and got reasonable food. We never beat or humiliated people and only ever isolated them as a last resort where it was absolutely necessary.....

But, what I think the people who complain about how "soft" our prisons are consistently underestimate is how horrible it is simply to be deprived of one's liberty; to have to ask everytime you want to go anywhere, to be unable to choose your own bedtime,food or access to outdoors - to be forced to share your space with people you don't like, to be denied the freedom to talk to family and friends; have a beer or a smoke when you want one...Enforced idleness is a terrible thing and can turn intelligent men and women into pale shadows of their former selves.

There is also the threat of violence, which can be appallingly wearing and tiresome for those locked up and those who care for them.

In short, being locked up, with or without TV's and all the rest, is for most people, a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

I wasn't serious to start with, but I am interested in your perspective of being locked up. Your view has given me a further insight. My experience (or that of a colleague) is of repeat youth offenders so I suppose the deprivision on one's liberty is different from that of say an older person - what I mean is, for a youth he's probably used to a degree of authority.

But thanks for your comments, I mean that. I suppose we're going way of the mark in terms of this thread now aren't we!

PS, Your occupation was somewhat interesting to me as I deal with client's (personally injury) who are patient's within the meaning of the mental health act due to psychiatric illness. Ranging from those who simply have a mild form of alzeimer's, to those who are sectioned for the good of their health (or that of others).

Cheers

This I agree with.

Roy, I'm almost speechless, I think this must be the first time we've agreed on something. I feel like a celebration is due!

Yeh I am almost speechless myself.:hihi:

:confused: :confused: :confused: GeNtLeMeN.... pLeEzE.... this is a family forum....:D :D :D

Archived