The Cartoon protests megathread

Thank you for posting your opinion.... as you say "They live here".... "they" is now an offensive word btw.... as it apparently causes divide but these people say they have respect but never show it in any form to the west as no matter how they dress it up.... they dislike our way of life as it doesn't conform to Islam. Full stop....

Jake, who are "these people" you mention Jake?

Are you describing the protestors, or British Muslims in general?

Why is it that the muslim community get so wound up over triviality? I mean it's not like war has been declared.... it was simply a joke."

Jake

As has been discussed elsewhere, the pictures were offensive, and they showed a likeness of the Prophet Muhammad. Muslims do not draw pictures of Muhanmad, nor do they make statues of him, as a precaution against idolatry.

Now, even if they pictures were tasteful, although I would still disagree with their publication, I would not be particularly offended. What has upset the Muslim community is that the pictures were offensive and were aimed at antagonising Muslims at a time when many Muslims in the Middle and Far East are quite wary of the West.

Jake

As has been discussed elsewhere, the pictures were offensive, and they showed a likeness of the Prophet Muhammad. Muslims do not draw pictures of Muhanmad, nor do they make statues of him, as a precaution against idolatry.

Now, even if they pictures were tasteful, although I would still disagree with their publication, I would not be particularly offended. What has upset the Muslim community is that the pictures were offensive and were aimed at antagonising Muslims at a time when many Muslims in the Middle and Far East are quite wary of the West.

Yeah.... I can go along with that argument.... but showing signs of hatred towards the west is not the way forward after some silly remark or cartoon.... it just puts up more barriers and distrust.... we have a free and open society and have limited knowledge of the muslim faith.... but why can't muslims accept our way of life and just accept a joke instead of pushing their will down our throats?.... it may distress them but no one I know can tell me that someone has upset them before and I can't recall any death threats being made before over a joke....

Jake

I think the publications were distastleful as you say but is all the furore vindicated. it was a poor joke of a cartoon and the Islamic faith should realise this and not re-enforce the obvious intentions of the media to stir more bad feelings between race religion etc

Jake, you tell me that people percieve the word "they" as offensive. And then go on to say the word "they" in the same post... why is that not offensive?

I am not gonna go over the word "they".... blackboard, and so on.... get used to it.... descriptives are being torn apart.... maybe you might get banned in the future for using the word and it won't be the fault of the Mods.... only legislation.

Has anyone noticed we are all arguing the same point?

People are threatening because of being offended. It's strange but it's happening. It seems that people get offended and so want to offend the people offending them. A little like being in nursary school..

Archived