Benefits: Revive 'principle of contribution' says Labour

Has anyone read or comprehended Labour's proposed policy on benefits?

more...

An extract states

Many people "feel they pay an awful lot more in than they ever get back"

While that may be true in principle, how do you know if you'll be needing any benefits tomorrow?

How does he expect the poor members of the public to contribute the same as the possibly more affluent members?

more...

An extract states

While that may be true in principle, how do you know if you'll be needing any benefits tomorrow?

How does he expect the poor members of the public to contribute the same as the possibly more affluent members?

Most folks who earn over £100k contribute far more to the system than they take out. Most folk on welfare claim far more out than they put in.

Perhaps they intend to give more generous treatment to the wealthy.

more...

An extract states

I don't think he does. Liam Byrne wants to portray the image of Labour as the new Mr Bumble and Wackford Squires of the political scene.

Whether or not this will harm the poor of today or tomorrow is secondary to getting a pat on the head from the Daily Mail

Whether or not this will harm the poor of today or tomorrow is secondary to getting a pat on the head from the Daily Mail

Many poor people get some sort of benefit from the state, but since most have very many material possessions, do they need state help.

Gordon Browns Government gave away free laptops,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jan/11/gordon-brown-free-laptops-broadband

did that do good? I dont think so. How many children have a mobile phone? They dont need more money, they need clean air and water, and good food. They dont need more money for a more expensive mobile and coke/McDonalds horse burger.

My broadband is now cheaper than it was 5 years ago. What will help the poor is to live in a society where hard work pays. Not benefits.

What will help the poor is to live in a society where hard work pays. Not benefits.

You mean remove all safety nets don't you? Even if you won't admit it we all know what you're talking about. I got slated on here, a few years back, for saying that's what the tories would do and the government's policies of persecution at the moment are proving me right. So where are the apologies from my accusers? I'm not holding my breath, I have dealt their their type all my life.

more...

An extract states

It’s nice to see some common sense policies coming from Labour, let’s hope if they get elected they implement it.

You mean remove all safety nets don't you?

Long term benefits. In my opinion, previous Governments have beeen wrong to charge for education.

JSA is currently giving for 6 months, and then they start asking questions about how you are looking for work. Start that at day 1, the employment service should be asking about a plan for getting work.

It’s nice to see some common sense policies coming from Labour, let’s hope if they get elected they implement it.

You missed out the quoted text!

Many people "feel they pay an awful lot more in than they ever get back"

What is common sense about that?

The way I read it is that the more affluent members of society will get more benefit than the less well off.

Doesn't sound like Labour policy to me.

It's the poorer people who need the benefits. They can't afford to pay more in.

You missed out the quoted text!

What is common sense about that?

The way I read it is that the more affluent members of society will get more benefit than the less well off.

Doesn't sound like Labour policy to me.

It's the poorer people who need the benefits. They can't afford to pay more in.

Maybe not, but it’s sensible policy and will encourage the non contributors to contribute more.

"We should start by letting councils give priority in social housing allocations to those who work and contribute to their community."

When I heard it on the news I got the impression that work in the community would be contributing to the community so would give you more benefits.

Archived