Scroungers and Workfare: The cat is out of the bag

Work experience stacking shelves?? or is that ringing items through a till? were not talking about skilled / professional jobs here.

They should be getting minimum wage. The type of companies taking advantage of this scheme can afford it, other employees on the same level are getting min wage, and the people on the scheme need to be paid properly.

It's unfair on so many levels.

As I said, if the employer was taking on staff normally, it would not be the people on workfare that were getting jobs, it would be people with experience. That's the problem. There are no jobs for inexperienced people at the moment because there are plenty of experienced workers looking for jobs.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 17:40 ----------

Its a shame its now proven that big business is just using them as free labour and have no real intention of employing them tho!!!

Anyone that is worth employing will get a job out of it.

Its a shame its now proven that big business is just using them as free labour and have no real intention of employing them tho!!!

Like I said, the people I know that have been on workfare ended up employed, and even if the company doesn't employ them they have gained some work experience.

If you was to employ someone would you choose someone that been doing nothing for two years or would you choose one that just done workfare for three months.

When companies take on employees normally, they tend to choose people who they don't give a s... about.

What does this even mean? Companies take on employees to make them more money, not out of the goodness of their hearts. What do you expect an employer to do?

What does this even mean? Companies take on employees to make them more money, not out of the goodness of their hearts. What do you expect an employer to do?

Maybe employers should try to hang on to good employees. Obviously more preferable in some roles than others.

An internal document from Haringey branch of Homebase which was supposed to be for neighbouring Homebase store managers has been leaked.

The document which shows a a group of unemployed people on the government workfare programme at the Haringey Homebase branch with the caption:

"Would 750 hours with no payroll costs benefit YOUR store?"

Boycott Workfare called for the scheme to be scrapped:

"The government can't have it both ways: branding people on benefits as feckless scroungers when thousands of us are working for no wages. If they really wanted to tackle the 'something for nothing' culture they could start by ditching workfare and making companies pay a wage to everyone working in their stores.

"In a week where people claiming benefit have been smeared by the chancellor, the fact of the matter is that it's not people on benefits who are scrounging off the taxpayer, it's businesses." Quite right.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/06/homebase-criticised-work-experience-claims#

Do you think that we can expect to see the Chancellor or the Prime Minister on our screens making sweeping claims about the 'something for nothing culture' amongst some businesses?

Even that is something that is just not happening in sheffield if your over 25. I have been on jsa for 2+ years and from six months in i was begging to be put on a work program. it took them another eight months to put me in poundland.

I was grateful because foolishly i thought if i did well i might be offered a job stacking shelves there, WHAT A FOOL. of course when my month was up it was bye bye and not even a thank you for your hard work.

but the stigma of doing nothing all day and the mental degradation that comes from that i have been begging to do something like that again. but it cant be done. not until my time comes up again. so what do we do!!, we are forced to rot on the dole. jobs for 45+ men with a health issue are just not available.

I didn't think it would take long :hihi:

Whats more irritating is the "everyone that I have ever known in this position"on every thread(sorry,I mean every thread to do with benefits:hihi:) to back up his "facts".

He never has a mixed bag of different people,they all do this or all do that,never a mix.

Im guessing Pinnochio's nose is at least a foot shorter!

Im sorry mrsmith,but you can dress this issue up all you like,fact is multi-million and even billion pound companies are taking too much of an advantage of this,and so is this poxy government!

This scheme is not too dis-similar to the old "new deal" scheme,but they chucked a £10 on top of your dole money,this is just pure slavery!

Are you telling me its right for a company to have someone for a month,and not pay anything for their services? not even a little token gesture?

Im not saying this can't benefit anyone,but it certainly ain't the holy grail thats creating jobs,in fact its quite the opposite,especially when store managers will start adding free employees to their budget and p&l sheets!

Store managers and even Area managers will be using this to drive their own bonuses up.

I was in a similar situation 10 or so years back with young YTS workers.We paid them £15 a week,and the government paid £20/£30 to them over a 2 year period.We went from 6 staff M/AM/2xFT/2xPT.To

4 staff M/AM/2xYTS in the space of 2 years,and cut some £40,000+ off the wage bill.Manager/Area manager and possibly Regional manager got something from this.

People with budgets to hit are always going to abuse this scheme.And that is the point of the original OP.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 19:03 ----------

I would expect the government not to give them employees for nothing,even a third of a wage would be a better offering all round.

As I said, if the employer was taking on staff normally, it would not be the people on workfare that were getting jobs, it would be people with experience. That's the problem. There are no jobs for inexperienced people at the moment because there are plenty of experienced workers looking for jobs.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 17:40 ----------

Anyone that is worth employing will get a job out of it.

The recession shouldn't be an excuse for slave labour.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 19:36 ----------

Instead of complaining about the scheme it may be more productive to campaign for stores to put their prices up to pay the wages of extra staff.

Stores can afford min wages. They don't care about the unemployed.

Archived