Scroungers and Workfare: The cat is out of the bag

But what should we do?

Getting the economy growing instead of shrinking would be a start. Current policies do not deliver growth and in this kind of environment creating opportunities is difficult.

The econamy isn't shrinking, it flat.

Restrict work-related immigration from non-EU countries in certain occupations. Believe it or not in November 2012 the rules were relaxed by this government. This effectively removes hundreds of thousands of graduate-level opportunities from UK citizens over the next few years.

I agree, immigration is an issue.

We need to get infrastructure projects moving. We should be using as many UK workers as possible on those, sourcing materials from the UK where possible and stipulating that contractors and subcontractors implement apprenticeship schemes - I'd rather we used workfare money for that kind of thing.

Agreed if everything that the UK can supply is supplied by the UK, sadly that won't happen and foreign companies will win contracts and employ foreign workers, the money the government borrows to build the infrastructure will just leave the country. No point creating work if it just increases immigration and the increase the population.

NI holiday for employers for workers under 24

No problem with that.

Employers need well-educated workers so making some kind of state-supported continuing education available might be good, e.g. funded day release. Not compulsory of course but available if employers needed it.

No problem with that.

And yes these things cost money. Nothing can magically happen on a meaningful level for free or without state control. If private business had its way we'd all be out of a job and tens of millions of immigrants would be here living in shacks and doing our jobs for peanuts.

That’s the problem, the state doesn't have control, the EU as control and creating work here will just increase inward EU migration and the cost of living, housing will rise.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 20:00 ----------

Instead of complaining about the scheme it may be more productive to campaign for stores to put their prices up to pay the wages of extra staff.

There's an idea, the same people complaining would then be complaining at having to pay more.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 20:04 ----------

Even that is something that is just not happening in sheffield if your over 25. I have been on jsa for 2+ years and from six months in i was begging to be put on a work program. it took them another eight months to put me in poundland.

I was grateful because foolishly i thought if i did well i might be offered a job stacking shelves there, WHAT A FOOL. of course when my month was up it was bye bye and not even a thank you for your hard work.

but the stigma of doing nothing all day and the mental degradation that comes from that i have been begging to do something like that again. but it cant be done. not until my time comes up again. so what do we do!!, we are forced to rot on the dole. jobs for 45+ men with a health issue are just not available.

My nephew did a work placement at pound land and like you he didn't get a job when it finished, he did however get the next job he applied for at home bargains, without the pound land experience he wouldn't have got it, so keep trying and good luck.

The econamy isn't shrinking, it flat.

I don't think so, I distinctly remember reading several articles stating it was shining and the UK is possibly in line for a triple dip recession this quarter, but those figure have yet to be published.

My nephew did a work placement at pound land and like you he didn't get a job when it finished, he did however get the next job he applied for at home bargains, without the pound land experience he wouldn't have got it, so keep trying and good luck.

Somehow I cant believe that Home Bargains would state "Poundland experience essential" when people apply for jobs. Did you just make that bit up?

I don't think so, I distinctly remember reading several articles stating it was shining and the UK is possibly in line for a triple dip recession this quarter, but those figure have yet to be published.

Somehow I cant believe that Home Bargains would state "Poundland experience essential" when people apply for jobs. Did you just make that bit up?

They don't but employers look for people with relevant experience in the job being applied for and he had relevant experience which he gained at pound land.

They don't but employers look for people with relevant experience in the job being applied for and he had relevant experience which he gained at pound land.

Can you once and for all clarify your own employment situation Smithy as you seem to be on here all day, everyday.:cool:

I've no problem with workfare for up to say 3 months on the proviso the company then takes them on for two years, fulltime afterwards. I'd have no objection for the state paying for real apprentiships either. Didn't they used to offer that before a4e waded in ?

Can you once and for all clarify your own employment situation Smithy as you seem to be on here all day, everyday.:cool:

I’m a delivery man with a white beard and fat belly, I work longer hours than anyone but only one night a year.

So you're in the same boat then Phil ?

Thats just not true banginman / Glamrocker!

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 20:40 ----------

I’m a delivery man with a white beard and fat belly, I work longer hours than anyone but only one night a year.

Hmmm I always associated you more with Scrooge!:hihi:

That’s the problem, the state doesn't have control, the EU as control and creating work here will just increase inward EU migration and the cost of living, housing will rise.

thats the problem the gov are in control they can just ignore the eu (like france/spain/germany etc) pay the fine and just carry on i wonder why they dont thou ?

I've no problem with workfare for up to say 3 months on the proviso the company then takes them on for two years, fulltime afterwards. I'd have no objection for the state paying for real apprentiships either. Didn't they used to offer that before a4e waded in ?

You can still get apprenticeships and I doubt any employer would be interested in workfare if it meant them having to employ someone that might be useless for another two years.

Archived