Birley Estate.The early Years.

Yes I was a palletiser operator at work. I am at a disadvantage not seeing your posts. Give me a clue to who you are and see if I can work out who you are.

Motor Bike and sidecar, Steel fixing, 4 in total second from the first.

I remember Anne Wragg,Doug Bramhall,Terry Nuttal,George Lupton,Mick Harker,John Morley,Michael Stride,David Glaves,Russel Fickling,Pete and Chris Sims, Roger Mather,Bob Wood,Doug Rosevere,Pete Walton,Richard Nixon,Don Mayo,Dennis,Tony,Janet Aldiss,Gloria,Mick,Phillip Payne,John Mcgowan,Paul,Ruth Gray,Roger Mather,Dennis WraggMick,Elaine Haslam,Sandra Crossley,June Nichols,Victoria Wood,Mick Brummitt,Alan and Jimmy Brummitt,plus quite a few more I would have to sit and recall,I went to Birley school,some of the teachers there were,Mr Davis headmaster,Mr Burke,Miss Stringer,Miss Rippeth aka Mrs Machin,Granny Smith,Mr Keeton,Mrs Hollingsworth,Mr Tyson.

Many names you mention I remember, I started at Birley Secondary School in the 1st year in August 1954, it was on the first day the school opened, remember all the teachers you mention, other names of pupils are Eric Bowden, Melvyn Bartrim, David Priestley, Mavis Dennis & Bob Headley. I will be 70 this year so we could have in a year ahead of you. Great times & a great school.

• 4 weeks later...
Many names you mention I remember, I started at Birley Secondary School in the 1st year in August 1954, it was on the first day the school opened, remember all the teachers you mention, other names of pupils are Eric Bowden, Melvyn Bartrim, David Priestley, Mavis Dennis & Bob Headley. I will be 70 this year so we could have in a year ahead of you. Great times & a great school.

I think it was 1956 when I started at senior school,1952 when I started at junior school,I think Melvyn Bartram lived next door to the junior school,I rememember the other names you mention but cant quite place the faces.

I think it was 1956 when I started at senior school,1952 when I started at junior school,I think Melvyn Bartram lived next door to the junior school,I rememember the other names you mention but cant quite place the faces.

Thats right Melvyn lived next to the Junior School, we went through the Secondary school together along with the others I listed. I managed to make contact with Eric Bowden about 15 years ago after a lapse of 40 years, (he was my "best friend at school) we talked regulary by phone and we did manage to meet for a day, sadly he died in in 2009. Have spoken to Melvyn on occassion, we had a great education at Birley. I have a photo of our class taken in 1959, must find it out and I will PM it to you.

Thats right Melvyn lived next to the Junior School, we went through the Secondary school together along with the others I listed. I managed to make contact with Eric Bowden about 15 years ago after a lapse of 40 years, (he was my "best friend at school) we talked regulary by phone and we did manage to meet for a day, sadly he died in in 2009. Have spoken to Melvyn on occassion, we had a great education at Birley. I have a photo of our class taken in 1959, must find it out and I will PM it to you.

He used to play football with us. Light haired if I remember correctly. My name is Ray Stocks. And your name is

Archived