Benefits in Britain. fact and fiction

A must-read for anybody interested in the debate on benefits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/06/welfare-britain-facts-myths

The article uses up to date research from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and adds some perspective to the current debate. Read the article and you will see that the likes of the Philpotts are extraordinarily rare.

Read and make your own mind up. My hunch was that the rhetoric from the Mail/Osborne/Cameron this week was without foundation, just ideological claptrap. I think the article confirms my thoughts. Wonder if you will agree.

The Guardian is hardly an unbiased source.

My problem with the benefits system is that it just keeps expanding, more and more people end up on benefits. It has to be stopped!

It supported the LibDems at the last election and has been favourable to them since then.

Besides the Mail will never ever print anything like this. It simply doesn't fit their agenda.

Read the article. If only to get the truth about you belief that more and more people are ending up on benefits.

The article uses up to date research from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and adds some perspective to the current debate. Read the article and you will see that the likes of the Philpotts are extraordinarily rare.

Read and make your own mind up. My hunch was that the rhetoric from the Mail/Osborne/Cameron this week was without foundation, just ideological claptrap. I think the article confirms my thoughts. Wonder if you will agree.

Have I missed something here?

Under 1% of workless households might have two generations who have never worked – about 15,000 households in the UK.

If 1% of households have been workless for two generation and there are only 15,000 of these households in the UK, then there can only be 1,500,000 households in the UK which can’t be correct.

There are about 25 million homes in the UK.

If 1% of households have been workless for two generation and there are only 15,000 of these households in the UK, then there can only be 1,500,000 households in the UK which can’t be correct.

It's 1% of workless households, not 1% of all households.

Yes you have. As you quoted yourself it's 1% of workless households, not 1% of ALL households.

Maybe you wanted it to be 1% of all households to fit in with your belief system. The reality is it's 0.06% of all households.

My problem with the benefits system is that it just keeps expanding, more and more people end up on benefits. It has to be stopped!

If you lose your job and can't find another how will you survive?

An excellent link, thankyou.

Sadly it doesn't matter how clear the information is, some people will still deny it, or not bother to read it....

Perhaps if we went back to the idea of a fair days pay for a fair days work then maybe a subtantial part of the benefits system could be rolled back.

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 19:01 ----------

An excellent link, thankyou.

Sadly it doesn't matter how clear the information is, some people will still deny it, or not bother to read it....

And that's what the tories rely on, prejudice.

The TUC published a report a short time ago which showed that people who believed that benefits system is too generous were the most ignorant.

Archived