Benefits in Britain. fact and fiction

Number of households where no one has EVER had a job falls by 20,000 but that's still 340,000 homes which have always been supported by taxpayers.

340,000 households in which no adult has ever worked,

It’s not something that should be ignored.

What they don't say is how big the households are that work or how big the households are that don't work, they would be interesting numbers to see.

I'm not saying it should be ignored. I would seriously question whether the benefits debate is focused in the right direction.

Number of households where no one has EVER had a job falls by 20,000 but that's still 340,000 homes which have always been supported by taxpayers.

340,000 households in which no adult has ever worked,

It’s not something that should be ignored.

1.75 million children living in workless households.

What they don't say is how big the households are that work or how big the households are that don't work, they would be interesting numbers to see.

do you think employers should pay a living wage ?

I'm not saying it should be ignored. I would seriously question whether the benefits debate is focused in the right direction.

Which direction would you focus on?

---------- Post added 07-04-2013 at 20:28 ----------

do you think employers should pay a living wage ?

I think its a nice idea but I also think it will mean more unemployment.

It seems that when we have the facts in front of us, we still reach different conclusions.

If you want to be a stay at home parent, you are more likely to be one if you get rid of your partner. How does that work?

"340,000 households in which no adult has ever worked", to me, that means that instead of throwing money at them - they need real help to get productive.

It seems that when we have the facts in front of us, we still reach different conclusions.

If you want to be a stay at home parent, you are more likely to be one if you get rid of your partner. How does that work?

"340,000 households in which no adult has ever worked", to me, that means that instead of throwing money at them - they need real help to get productive.

In general, an opinion is a belief about matters commonly considered to be subjective, i.e., it is based on that which is less than absolutely certain, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts.

Which direction would you focus on?.

The bits that cost us the most money and have the potential to increase benefit spend massively in the future.

Pensions, e.g. do all pensioners need bus passes, winter fuel payments etc... Is the schedule for upping the retirement age aggressive enough?

Housing benefits. Clearly a massive and growing problem.

Youth unemployment.

I would say if we're all obsessed with the Philpotts we're obsessed with what represents a tiny proportion of benefit spend. It's not wrong to be angry that there are people like them about, far from it. But our energy should be used for asking questions about the real more pressing issues we face around benefits.

Of course they need help. I'm not saying otherwise. But it's 340,000 out of 20m and many of those households are single person households. Many of those will be economically inactive because they can't work (e.g. mentally Ill).

Archived