Car jacks !! Pointless

Why are standard car jacks so rubbishly made. Realy angry now after the car fell off twice leaving a big dent in the sill. Not happy! Not a show car no more

Was it a show car before?

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 12:50 ----------

Yes, clearly ... looking for a decent footpump and not finding one is my fault because I should have been looking for another handpump. :huh:

There are loads of decent footpumps around. Most were made in Sheffield by Kismet, Hattersley & Davidson or PCL.

http://www.heritagefootpumps.co.uk/foot-pumps

My car doesn't even have a jack or a spare wheel any more, just an aerosol puncture repair kit and instructions on how to use it.

I'm not looking forward to the first puncture I have in it one bit.

I thought that, till I took a friend of mine to pick his brother in laws car up after a puncture (his wife was in the hospital for something at the time) we used the tyreweld stuff that his car had instead of the jack etc.. and it was fantastic, I thought it was going to be useless too.

In fact, although he shouldn't have, he must have drove on the tyre for about 2/3 weeks.

There are loads of decent footpumps around. Most were made in Sheffield by Kismet, Hattersley & Davidson or PCL.

http://www.heritagefootpumps.co.uk/foot-pumps

Thanks for that, I clearly need to invest in a heritage type - expensive as they are.

Since I was referring to new models in my initial statement, linking to a heritage site sort of proves my point unfortunately. I've had a number of new models and they inevitably fall apart. :(

A family member worked for WM Turner, and I always envy his pristine Kismet.

Thanks for that, I clearly need to invest in a heritage type - expensive as they are.

Since I was referring to new models in my initial statement, linking to a heritage site sort of proves my point unfortunately. I've had a number of new models and they inevitably fall apart. :(

A family member worked for WM Turner, and I always envy his pristine Kismet.

Oh gosh yes. There were 2 brothers who fell out. The other brother set up PCL on John Street and made all the Dunlop footpums. I have a few of those as well as some Kismet ones. I also have a 2 man hand pump which was sold as a compressor to 3rd world counties.

All brass cylinders. A cheaper alternative is the Walter & Dobson Aerite pumps which had die cast cylinder ends and were bolted together. You can often find them branded "Duco". (Brown Brothers) at not much cash. PM me if you need info or would like a pump. I probably have a few spare ones around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Brass-Kismet-Cylinder-Foot-Pump-/321126321275?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item4ac49ecc7b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Dunlop-Foot-Pump-/171042777756?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item27d2f1aa9c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-vintage-Plc-elf-foot-pump-/251277515544?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item3a814e9b18

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DULOP-JUNIOR-FOOT-PUMP-/290918282969?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item43bc14b6d9

Yes, clearly ... looking for a decent footpump and not finding one is my fault because I should have been looking for another handpump. :huh:

sorry for trying to help, I just assumed you wanted something that was effective at inflating tyres unlike all the footumps you've encountered so far,

I've never seen the point of a jack anyhow. Last time I had a puncture was in the UK and I called Green Flag. They came out and changed my wheel for me. It was a foul night and I wasn't about to try jacking a car on an unlit road in the fog & rain.

Not only that, the Green Flag man who was built like Goliath had to use a wrench around a meter long to undo the nuts. Afterwards the wheel wouldn't fit in the trunk. The space saver wheel was about half the size of the one on the car, and even that won't fit into the space when its inflated.

As I found that night there is a reason why a tire deflates. In this case I had hit a rock or a pot hole and it had cracked the wheel. No amount of pumping with a footpump would put air into that.

The nice man from Green Flag changed my wheel and took the old one back to the depot where I collected it a few days later. I was able to go to the restaurant not soaked or covered in oil.

I would never attempt to change a wheel, that's why I pay around $50/year for someone to do it for me. I carry a couple of those cans of gunk. If that doesn't do the job the cell phone will.

I've never seen the point of a jack anyhow. Last time I had a puncture was in the UK and I called Green Flag. They came out and changed my wheel for me. It was a foul night and I wasn't about to try jacking a car on an unlit road in the fog & rain.

Not only that, the Green Flag man who was built like Goliath had to use a wrench around a meter long to undo the nuts. Afterwards the wheel wouldn't fit in the trunk. The space saver wheel was about half the size of the one on the car, and even that won't fit into the space when its inflated.

As I found that night there is a reason why a tire deflates. In this case I had hit a rock or a pot hole and it had cracked the wheel. No amount of pumping with a footpump would put air into that.

The nice man from Green Flag changed my wheel and took the old one back to the depot where I collected it a few days later. I was able to go to the restaurant not soaked or covered in oil.

I would never attempt to change a wheel, that's why I pay around $50/year for someone to do it for me. I carry a couple of those cans of gunk. If that doesn't do the job the cell phone will.

It beats waiting for someone if you get a puncture & every time you swap alloys I needed a jack

Archived