Social Media - trouble for the young ens

I was chatting at work about some of my old writing a few months ago about letting their children use social media (facebook etc), and to make sure they don't post silly stuff - because one day they might be applying for professional jobs whereby someone will nosy into their private life on social media.

The conversation ended with the staff saying I was in my paranoid mood.

-

Cue today: first victim [to my knowledge] of just such an act. Paris Brown.

I'll see if I can find some more of my paranoid writings :hihi:

She should have deleted all her old twitterings and compromising FB photos as soon as she got a job that would put her in the firing line or that would cause embarrassment to her employer were they to be plastered all over The Mail's front page.

Perhaps I'm paranoid as well then, 'cos I was remarking to my OH earlier today how there'll be virtually no-one under the age of 20 who'll be able to get a job in the public eye in the future, at this rate.

Was also saying it's a good job there's barely a photograph to incriminate us of our youthful misdemeanours!

Many young 'uns seem to inhabit parallel universes, where what happens on social media isn't seen to impact on, or be relevant to, their 'terrestrial' lives. This was clearly the case with the charming Paris B. And it's illustrated with every example of someone texting, tweeting or worse on the street, bus, train, tram ...oblivious as to what (or who) might be about to kick off around them...

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 11:42 ----------

She should have deleted all her old twitterings and compromising FB photos as soon as she got a job that would put her in the firing line or that would cause embarrassment to her employer were they to be plastered all over The Mail's front page.

Yeah, but there you go again, thinking like a grown-up:hihi:

And now Paris is gonna be telling experienced coppers how they could do their jobs a lot better if they knew how to get down with the dudes...:loopy:

Many young 'uns seem to inhabit parallel universes, where what happens on social media isn't seen to impact on, or be relevant to, their 'terrestrial' lives. This was clearly the case with the charming Paris B. And it's illustrated with every example of someone texting, tweeting or worse on the street, bus, train, tram ...oblivious as to what (or who) might be about to kick off around them...

Pertinent examples of that are idiots who commit crimes and then put photos or film of themselves committing those crimes on the internet or sharing them round by phone. It's not just teenagers that do this. Some idiots post on Facebook that they're going to commit such and such a crime and then get arrested, much to their surprise.

I was chatting at work about some of my old writing a few months ago about letting their children use social media (facebook etc), and to make sure they don't post silly stuff - because one day they might be applying for professional jobs whereby someone will nosy into their private life on social media.

The conversation ended with the staff saying I was in my paranoid mood.

-

Cue today: first victim [to my knowledge] of just such an act. Paris Brown.

I'll see if I can find some more of my paranoid writings :hihi:

I'd be more inclined to be paranoid about "adults" use of social media. Give teenagers a break. :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 11:46 ----------

Pertinent examples of that are idiots who commit crimes and then put photos or film of themselves committing those crimes on the internet or sharing them round by phone. It's not just teenagers that do this. Some idiots post on Facebook that they're going to commit such and such a crime and then get arrested, much to their surprise.

...two short planks springs to mind. :hihi:

Perhaps I'm paranoid as well then, 'cos I was remarking to my OH earlier today how there'll be virtually no-one under the age of 20 who'll be able to get a job in the public eye in the future, at this rate.

Was also saying it's a good job there's barely a photograph to incriminate us of our youthful misdemeanours!

Oh definitely! :suspect::hihi:

I feel sorry for many of the youth of today, who when applying for important jobs in 20 years or so will almost certainly have their histories plastered over the future virtual papers!

Privacy is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Kids are taught this in school, they have been for a few years, warning that posts and photos can come back to haunt them in years to come.

Sad as it perhaps is, I think it's good that they are taught this in school.

I was listening to Radio Sheffield earlier and this was one of the topics. Basically whether or not she should keep her post. It's a difficult question - initially I think the answer is obvious - no. People have long memories - you see it on here/and in the news every day. However, if current children as future adults will have everything in their past torn apart, I think it will take away much of children's learning and development about the political and social adult world.

I'd be more inclined to be paranoid about "adults" use of social media. Give teenagers a break. :hihi:

Well aye! I shouldn't think I'd ever work in far left-wing politics if someone scrutinised my posts in here. :hihi:

Archived