Maveli - new South Indian restaurant

PeteM01

My 9 year old adores E&W - he usually shares Idli and Vadai and then has a plain daal with chapattis. But he can eat spicy food OK.

My 5 year old is a bit fussier but will nibble some chicken 65 , idli and a plain dosa.

Both of them have a sweet lassi (not the horrid mango one I should say)

Just ask them to tone down the spice a little and they should be fine.

My kids all love dosa, chicken 65 and chilli paneer, so that, a shared main and a bread selection makes a decent meal. Thalis go down pretty well - lots of little meals on a tray! The cauliflower varuval will be a hit as well, I expect.

I don't know how/why people rave about Dhanistas?

my experience- very small, cramped, was only 1 other table in & was given a very bad seat with no room between the 2 of us.

Majority of food arrived cold :S :S

Chose a wine- was told NONE on the list available, only a more expensive option, & only ONE to choose from at that! - result.Bad wine, very piney & watery.

We did visit when it first opened, i have visited tripadvisor since out of curiosity wondering myself how the heck it stays open. I was surprised to see another few complaints of cold food. & on the opposite side, people giving it 5stars on everything going raving mad...

:S :S

I don't know how/why people rave about Dhanistas?

I must have been 10 times since it opened, and have taken quite a few other people. The food has always been brilliant, but the slow service and less-than-luxurious surroundings have not done it any favours.

Went for tea here last night and it was very good.

Food as good as east and west and dhanisthas (i.e. its brilliant) but in a much nicer venue (let's be honest E&W is just a caff and you would walk out of Dhanisthas unless you knew the food was good) , friendly and efficient service .

We had vadai which were very light and were eaten very quickly. Idly were good, chilli chicken which was delicious. Crispy , sticky chicken in a sweet , hot sauce.

And a tomato rassam which was a very generous bowl of fab hot , salty broth with a very complex flavour.

3 doses for mains . One masala , one plain and one king prawn masala.

All 3 were thin , crispy and very tasty.

Prawns were very nice. Lovely and soft.

Great sambar with them all.

I had the nilgiri chicken. Soft chunks of chicken in a freshly made green sauce with coriander and mint and other spices. The manager (owner?) said they make it fresh for each order...not in a big batch. It was delicious . Just had it with 2 light and fluffy chapattis.

3 lots of gulab jamun for pud which were fine plus a mango delish which was excellent.

Bit like a creme brûlée with pistachios in .

A large glass of wine , one becks (the alcohol licence came through yesterday), 2 sweet lassis (thick and very good). £80 inc tip.

Left very satisfied and will be back soon.

One final thing , was empty when we arrived at 5 and only a few people came in to eat while we were there.

Spread the word folks as this place deserves to be a success.

What good news will try this next Saturday this will make a nice change from my usual haunts hope it's decent

Don't judge it by comparing it to the usual anglo-bengali/punjabi places - there's no tandoori chicken, naans, poppadoms, rogan josh, bhajis...

I can't say I'm surprised the Tamarind is gone, I tried it once and can't say I was overly impressed.

This place sounds interesting and probably different to the usual Indians I've had.

What's a Dosa?

Regards

Doom

I can't say I'm surprised the Tamarind is gone, I tried it once and can't say I was overly impressed.

This place sounds interesting and probably different to the usual Indians I've had.

What's a Dosa?

Regards

Doom

its a large crispy riceflour pancake. Its often served rolled with a filling of potato curry and a variety of spicy sauces. Great you can finally get them in Sheffield.

Archived