NHS dental work, is it guaranteed?

I had a crown fitted, less than 2 weeks ago. I could feel some of the cement sticking out once the numbness had worn off. I left it a week or so to see if it would go away on it's own, but it didn't.

I booked to see the dentist again today. He filed it smooth again and it feels much better. It took about 1 minute to do & he charged me £18!?

Is this right, or should he have done the work under guarantee?

Yes, he shouldn't have charged you. Call him and ask for a refund, if he refuses call the NHS number and report him.

If you have completed one course of treatment but you need another treatment, you do not have to pay again if:

You need more treatment within the same or a lower charge band (such as another filling) within two months of completing a course of treatment. As long as you discussed the problem with the dentist during that time, they will try to fit you in as soon as possible. However, if they have to offer you a later appointment, you should not be charged again.

You need repair work or a replacement for certain types of restoration within a year of the original work being done. You should return to the same dentist.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

Just got off the phone to the receptionist. Apparently, because the work I had done wasn't a replacement of something that was damaged, the dentist is within his rights to charge me for the emergency appointment!?! Unbelievable!

Basically, the dentist can charge over £200 for a cap and do a dodgy cement job on every patient to guarantee an additional £18!

The receptionist is a friend of mine and she's going to speak to the practice manager for me but I'm not holding out much hope.

This still doesn't sound right to me?!

Just got off the phone to the receptionist. Apparently, because the work I had done wasn't a replacement of something that was damaged, the dentist is within his rights to charge me for the emergency appointment!?! Unbelievable!

Basically, the dentist can charge over £200 for a cap and do a dodgy cement job on every patient to guarantee an additional £18!

The receptionist is a friend of mine and she's going to speak to the practice manager for me but I'm not holding out much hope.

This still doesn't sound right to me?!

Have you read any of the link I sent you? It has an entire section that starts with "If you think you’ve been charged wrongly or that you've paid too much". Try following the directions there.

Archived