Who Is Your Favourite Artist?

I tend to like Impressionist painters - in particular van Gogh, Monet and Manet - and the pre-Raphaelite-type artists, such as Frederic Leighton...

I know it's graced many a birthday card, but I do love Flaming June.

Is this limited to painters (in which case my vote would be hieronymous Bosch), or does it extend to other media?

My favourite illustrator is Rian Hughes. The guy really *is* an artist. Then there's photographers like Lichfield, Bailey...

I had the idea of painters/illustrators etc when I started the thread, but others should feel free to elaborate.

Like Joe P, I admire the work of the Renaissance Masters- Da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo, Ghirlandaio, Botticelli, Titian and Bellini etc for their humanism and sublime mastery of rhythm and movement. I also admire the work of the Pre-Raphaelites [though I disagree with their view that art had taken a 'wrong turn' through Raphael], such as Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Hunt, Burne-Jones and Millais. The wonderful art of James Mallard Turner causes me great pleasure too.

Abdul made an amusing reference to my distaste for the work of the sodomy-obsessed, neurotic, Catalan Surrealist Salvador Dali. I went through a period in my late teens when I thought Dali a great painter. Hopefully, since then my taste has matured a little. When interviewed by Russell Harty [of all people] who asked if he thought he was one of the greatest painters in history, Dali modestly replied, 'No'. However, the Surrealist genuinely believed himself to be 'the greatest painter of the 20th century'. Pressed further by his interviewer, Dali qualified his statement; 'Eez not because Dali eez so good. No. Eez because ze uzzers are so bad!' That must surely be his bon mot?

I like Paul Horton, his simple subjects and bright colours appeal to me. I also have several prints by Margaret Clarkson, her childhood scenes bring back happy memories. My favourite local artist is Joe Scarborough, again bright colours, very busy scenes, all telling a story. Usually I can relate to his subjects.

Picasso, Elizabeth Frink, all the Pre-Rapaehlite artists (Men in armour saving damsels in distress kind of stuff), and another guy who makes life like scultures and used to work in the film industry (cant remember his name, as ever)....I am sure there are more...:|