Who Is Your Favourite Artist?

The work of Sandro Botticelli is truly amazing :o

Botticelli's "The Birth of Venus" is an incredible painting, one of my very favourites. It's so very beautiful.

I've been fortunate enough to have viewed it in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence - and I have to say really, you have to see it 'in the flesh', so to speak, to fully appreciate it. It is a fabulous work of art - breath-taking.

StarSparkle :thumbsup:

Boroughgal,

Hopper's paintings are quite fashionable at the moment. Apparently, he was very influenced by the poetry of the French Symbolist,Charles Baudelaire. Both seem to share a love of solitude, 'the solace of the night,' city life and modernity itself. His paintings provide glimpses of people who appear to be searching for something. They have either left someone, or been left, in some circumstances. In others they seem to be in search of work, sex, or simple human companionship. Always, or nearly always, they seem adrift, transient.

The Philosopher, Alain De Botton said that Hopper puts us 'on the side' of the figures in his paintings [for example, the pensive-looking, lone female diner in 'Automat', 1927], the side of the outsider against the insiders. The figures in Hopper's art are not opponents of home per se, it is simply that, in a variety of undefined ways, home appears to have betrayed them, forcing them out into the night or on to the road. As De Botton said, 'The 24 hour diner, the station waiting room and the motel are sanctuaries for those who have, for noble reasons, failed to find a home in the ordinary world, sanctuaries for those whom Baudelaire might have dignified with the honorific 'poets'.

Just a few thoughts.

I've always liked Hogarth's etchings, and I love Blake's artwork.

From the Romantic period, I enjoy Turner's paintings, and I also like Friedrich - I think it's the image that recurs of distant light that attracts me to his paintings.

I like most of the pre-Raphaelite artists, particularly Burne Jones, and the philosophies of the moevement interest me as a whole. Also the aesthetic of the Arts and crafts movement is something I find pleasing. Going on from that, I like Lutyens architecture.

I also like the paintings of Tamara de Lempicka, and Frieda Kahlo, Henry Moore's sculptures, but particularly Moore's sketches of people sleeping in the London Underground during WWII.

As I like modern sculpture/installation art more than modern painting, I find Gormley, Long and Goldsworthy interesting. I think Field has to be one of my favourite pieces.

...I like most of the pre-Raphaelite artists, particularly Burne Jones, and the philosophies of the moevement interest me as a whole. Also the aesthetic of the Arts and crafts movement is something I find pleasing...

There are some excellent Arts and Crafts resources here. I'm a particular fan of the De Morgans and William Morris.

Ironically, I'm trying to locate an Edward Hopper print. I ADORE his work but there is one of his pics that has got me well and truly stumped. One of his paintings of a small railway station building (NOT the railroad house one) was on the wall of a hotel room. Being in NYC at the time I went along to see the real thing. Can I find this pic now? Can I hell! Any ideas? I want it over my bed. It's brown/yellow colours. Someone help me, PLEASE.