Who Is Your Favourite Artist?

Never got along with the Arts and Crafts thing, over worked pretentious tom-foolery (oops) :rolleyes:

Fair enough, but the work was anything but pretentious.

One of William Morris' more famous quotes was: "have nothing in your house that you do do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". I'd agree. The latter half of the statement is particularly apt for many works by artists of the 'Arts and Crafts' movement.

Highly privelidged might be a better description if you will.

From what I remeber of the background and intentions of Morris, Ruskin etc, very far removed from creating work for the majority.

Being decidedly low-brow, and very definately not an historian, I admire the works of the Arts and Crafts movement for their beauty, rather than the motives for creating them. I know little about whether or not the works were created 'for the masses'.

I do know that both Ruskin and Morris were active politically as well as artistically. Ruskin especially championed social welfare, demanding better housing, education etc for the working class people.

Boroughgal,

Hopper's paintings are quite fashionable at the moment. Apparently, he was very influenced by the poetry of the French Symbolist,Charles Baudelaire. Both seem to share a love of solitude, 'the solace of the night,' city life and modernity itself. His paintings provide glimpses of people who appear to be searching for something. They have either left someone, or been left, in some circumstances. In others they seem to be in search of work, sex, or simple human companionship. Always, or nearly always, they seem adrift, transient.

The Philosopher, Alain De Botton said that Hopper puts us 'on the side' of the figures in his paintings [for example, the pensive-looking, lone female diner in 'Automat', 1927], the side of the outsider against the insiders. The figures in Hopper's art are not opponents of home per se, it is simply that, in a variety of undefined ways, home appears to have betrayed them, forcing them out into the night or on to the road. As De Botton said, 'The 24 hour diner, the station waiting room and the motel are sanctuaries for those who have, for noble reasons, failed to find a home in the ordinary world, sanctuaries for those whom Baudelaire might have dignified with the honorific 'poets'.

Just a few thoughts.

I think of Edward Hopper's paintings as being very 'film noir' - like you say, Timo, there's a transience about them, a restlessness, a searching for something - a sadness rather than a seediness, although there clearly is some seediness lurking there.

I find his work almost like paintings of photographs - you can easily imagine them as being stills of real life captured in a brief moment.

StarSparkle

I like a bit of pre-raphaelite, Waterhouse etc.

I also like this guy, and have the original of the bee picture (first acrylic in his gallery). His gallery also has oil paintings and digital media. If anyone is interested he sells prints and does commissions. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ARTIST IN HIS LIFETIME!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hevart

Boroughgal,

Hopper's paintings are quite fashionable at the moment. Apparently, he was very influenced by the poetry of the French Symbolist,Charles Baudelaire. Both seem to share a love of solitude, 'the solace of the night,' city life and modernity itself. His paintings provide glimpses of people who appear to be searching for something. They have either left someone, or been left, in some circumstances. In others they seem to be in search of work, sex, or simple human companionship. Always, or nearly always, they seem adrift, transient.

The Philosopher, Alain De Botton said that Hopper puts us 'on the side' of the figures in his paintings [for example, the pensive-looking, lone female diner in 'Automat', 1927], the side of the outsider against the insiders. The figures in Hopper's art are not opponents of home per se, it is simply that, in a variety of undefined ways, home appears to have betrayed them, forcing them out into the night or on to the road. As De Botton said, 'The 24 hour diner, the station waiting room and the motel are sanctuaries for those who have, for noble reasons, failed to find a home in the ordinary world, sanctuaries for those whom Baudelaire might have dignified with the honorific 'poets'.

Just a few thoughts.

Timo...

The things that you (and StarSparkle) point out are the very things I love about his pictures - the long shadows & solitude of an early sunday morning, the quiet time shared by an older couple in Cape Cod Evening, the gas station in the middle of nowhere....

But, I feel compelled to say I nearly didn't post to comment on his work - I'm very aware of the fact he's "fashionable" at the moment, thanks to someone like Athena replacing the figures in "Nighthawks" with Marilyn Monroe & James Dean etc. (and subsequently making it one of my least favourite of his paintings). But - he's the artist I studied at school and have loved him since then. I was (am!) especially interested in the relationship he had with his wife Jo, and how this was manifested in his work.

It'd be nice if I was into the "classics" a bit more, but I have to be honest, they don't say a deal to me about my life. Hopper does.