Who Is Your Favourite Artist?

I also like Dali. Have been to visit his museum Figueras which was a wierd but wonderful experience.

I've been here too, some time ago, I would agree that it is a very interesting experience, it's quite a distance from Barcelona though, if I remember rightly? I remember a beautiful coastal train journey that took a couple of hours or so (although I believe there is a more direct, less picturesque route) and stayed in a lovely place called Roses, would recommend...! :)

• 1 month later...
Salvador Dali, without a doubt. I'm going to Barcelona this summer and will be visiting the dali museum. Has anyone been? I can't wait

Also, Andy Warhol, Chris Brace, Milladio all have interesting styles

If you're going to Barcelona make sure you go to the Miro Gallery on Monjuic. It is the best gallery in the city for my money, although since I last visited (94) they've built a new Modern Art gallery in the Raval district too.

If it's a sunny day go up to the flat roof and look across the city. Beautiful.

Interesting thread this. My favourites are Turner, Jack Yeats, Goya, Rembrant, Matisse and my all-time favourite Paul Cezanne.

I long thought of Constable as just a kitchzy chocolate-box artist until I caught his exhibition at the Millennium Galleries a couple of years ago. It blew me away. He was nothing of the sort. Huge, daring canvasses with amazing skies. Zinc white knifed across the canvass in a style that would have been completely unseen at that time.

Being decidedly low-brow, and very definately not an historian, I admire the works of the Arts and Crafts movement for their beauty, rather than the motives for creating them. I know little about whether or not the works were created 'for the masses'.

I do know that both Ruskin and Morris were active politically as well as artistically. Ruskin especially championed social welfare, demanding better housing, education etc for the working class people.

Sure, full credit for their motives, the intention was for creating beautiful crafted works for the common man but was impractical and unrealistic.

Their work was something of a rejection of the industrial boom and wanted to hold craftsmanship and idealism.

This never worked, The majority who could afford hand crafted works where the wealthy 'filthy rich' to quote Ruskin I believe...

Macintosh and the Bauhaus were champions of the modern age that was to come, embracing the machine and new technologies.

I like Mark Rothko, Roy Lichtenstein and Bridget Riley for their use of colour.

Also like some Rembrandt, Dali, Von Gogh - the usual suspects.

As for contemporary artists, Tracey Emin is interesting as a character but the work of hers I've seen doesn't quite live up to that which is a shame. I liked the Pharmacy stuff that ?Damien Hirst did too.

I also really really like arty photography but can't for the life of me remember the names of those I like best.

I quite like some of the work of Joan Miro.

There is one particular work by Jackson Pollack I like - a really wide, narrow painting where he 'drizzled' paint - full of movement and 'flow' Can't find it on the web, (don't know the title) I would love to have a repro of that on our living room wall, but Mrs Draggle wouldn't.....

Anyway, a couple by Joan Miro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/draggletail/miro/miro.jpg

http://www.poster.net/miro-joan/miro-joan-the-singing-fish-8700408.jpg

Yeh, I know, a child could do it etc. :roll:

He did 'proper' paintings too :P

I like landscape art and I love many of the cornish modern artists.

My fave is Kurt Jackson http://www.kurtjackson.co.uk/Kurt_jackson_paintings_exhibitions.htm - lots of mixed media, incorporating sand and soil and splattered paint - vibrant and chaotic but really serene and warm. Love it.

For my A level I did a study on him and he wrote a really inspiring letter to me about his work, how he does it and what inspires him. And he sent me a book too! (how nice is that?)