Who Is Your Favourite Artist?

I'm pretty fascinated by the Pre-Raphs ... in particular Rossetti and Sandys (friends who fell out) although Godward, Burne-Jones and Waterhouse are firm favourites too. Loads of 'em really.

So much so that I like to 'update' their paintings to give a more contemporary feel.

'Kindle Surprise' (poor quality camera-phone image) is my version of Rossetti's 'The Day Dream'. I've replaced the book of poems Liz is reading with a rather more fitting Kindle Fire, on which she's just ordering a book on Rossetti via Amazon.

I'd certainly recommend a trip to the Lady Lever Art Gallery at Port Sunlight to anyone interested in the Pre-Raphaelites as there's loads by the above (not me, obviously). :)

Ooh.... so many to choose from. Of the British artists still alive I think Hockney and Gormley are brilliant. The Man Alone statues at Crosby, by Gormley, is some of the best of the best in contemporary art. After visiting Saltaire Mills I have grown very fond of Hockney as well.

This man (Johan Dijkstra) is an early 20th century artist that I consider my favourite of all, but he was part of a local movement called De Ploeg, which in turn could be considered part of the broad European movement of early 20th century impressionists and I would have to say that is my favourite art-style.

I have a couple of Pete McKee's on my wall [£10 prints] but what I cannot understand is how any painting, drawing, sculpture,statue or flower vase can be worth millions and millions of pounds.

Some private individuals pay these obscene amounts so as to be considered intellectual to their social circle , others through pure greed [investment].

This charade of wealth and privilege merry go round continues unabated while half the Worlds population does not know where the next meal is coming from.

Oscar Wilde was right when he stated that ,"Art is completely useless".

That's fantastic, a bit too straight for my liking but it's still quality

I know what you mean. Not necessarily something you would want over the fireplace!

My late dad was quite useful with the old paintbrush although I may be biased... Link..... quite slick on the piano too!