Druids to get time of to visit Stonehenge.

I think we are poles apart because I don't base my beliefs on science where you seem to be more into this aspect . You say you don't believe in God or a creator yet you say you are religious .Could you explain ? Thank you

I do not base my beliefs on science, I am however honest enough with myself to acknowledge that some of the things I have faith in have no scientific grounding. I do not understand religious people who simply pretend science doesn't present difficulties with their belief, to me it seems the only reason for doing this (whether it by ignoring the difficulty science presents or seeking to twist the science, or adapt their beliefs) is that they have too much emotional involvement to admit they might be wrong.

I am a Buddhist, we do not believe in a creator God, we do accept (or it would be more correct to say the scriptures teach this, though some Buddhists prefer to cherry pick the bits that apply to them) we do accept Gods, but they aren't really 'Gods' in the Abrahamic/Hindu/Tribalism sense but more another class of sentient being subject to the same flaws all animals (including people) are subject to.

Is that ok or would you like me to expand?

I understand now what you mean and thanks for that

Sorry bout this post but I'm on my Blackberry because I'm about to start seven nights .

I do enjoy certain aspects of science but I don't find it important to what I personally believe in . Back in the early days of the Craft people did not really know about science and did what they thought was right for them, like using herbs or plants in order to aid healing . There was no science as we know it now

Sorry bout this post but I'm on my Blackberry because I'm about to start seven nights .

I do enjoy certain aspects of science but I don't find it important to what I personally believe in . Back in the early days of the Craft people did not really know about science and did what they thought was right for them, like using herbs or plants in order to aid healing . There was no science as we know it now

Don't you ever question, if evidence is stacked up against what you believe whether you may be wrong?

My original question was not regarding science as a yard stick however, it was about Whether there is any evidence, using current scientific methods, of the antiquity you claim for your beliefs.

I've done a search for the lonely witch and all I can find is largely fantasy novels, do you have any links I could look at, also I'm really interested in those book references.

Mixing herbs to create medicine is science. It's always 'existed', just recently discovered. You might not find science important, but it is, whether you like it or not. Is surrounds us an governs to entire universe, as for as we know it.

This is the kind of thing I don't understand about religious people (not all, just some), how can you say something as important as science isn't important, then practice a 'craft' that has nothing tangible to it, what so ever?!?

"Britain was predominantly Christian for about 1600 years."

What is wrong with that statement? The past 1600 years is 'in the past' and can therefore be described as 'history'.

I'm well aware that Paganism pre-dates Christianity. I'm also well-aware that once CHristianity became the established religion in Britain, the church/government tried to suppress Paganism - or at the very least to overlay it with Christianity.

Guy Fawkes was not burned on a bonfire in November (but presumably, if you can persuade people to act as if he was, they might stop observing Samhain.) (Where I grew up - not under the power or influence of the British Parliament - We burned a 'Guy Fox' on 5 November - but many people referred to him as 'The Boudlo Man' [Au bout de l'An.] Many Christian churches were built on sites which were of significance to pagans =qoute

What has Guy fawkes got to do with any religion, am I missing something:huh:

Mixing herbs to create medicine is science. It's always 'existed', just recently discovered. You might not find science important, but it is, whether you like it or not. Is surrounds us an governs to entire universe, as for as we know it.

This is the kind of thing I don't understand about religious people (not all, just some), how can you say something as important as science isn't important, then practice a 'craft' that has nothing tangible to it, what so ever?!?

That's a step down from calling them mentally unstable.

I'm still waiting for the criteria you're using to make that assessement by the way, you seem to have forgotton to answer me.

PaliRichard

I am on nights so am not up to looking yet .I haven't forgotten ,will get back to you when I am back in the normal land & not Norman no life as is night shifts.

Also to the other poster , I have never said that science isn't important I do believe it is & being a Nurse I deal with science every day. But in my daily life at home science does not rule my world . I agree back in the day there was science but the people then did not know it was science ,but just a way of living.

Archived