Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

The alternative was to continue to prop up those ineptly managed industries with public money (working persons tax revenue).

Her view was, why should the working population continue to do that? Why should govt be involved in the running of business - let business run business.

She shut the cashpoint and the businesses, badly run and strangled by unions and their demands, failed.

if that was the case why are we still propping up ineptly managed banks with taxpayers money to pay for their failure

if that was the case why are we still propping up ineptly managed banks with taxpayers money to pay for their failure

Interesting point. The banks have probably ended up costing more in subsidies and guarantees than the old state owned industries and utilities. The failure of the banks will cost us for decades.

Thatcher was obviously evil, racist and a bit mental, however she was right about most things and did what was best for Britain.

That's a bit like saying Hitler had some good ideas about military spending...but I'm not so sure about his gassing 6million Jews policy.

When right to buy kicked in we had a housing bubble, in the 80s. Then a crash in 1989.

Which was brought under control by increasing interest rates and house prices were rising well before the sale of council houses with a small bubble in the 70's, and it wasn’t the sale of council houses that caused them.

About Endurance that's exactly what I'm claiming. She was warned not to plan the withdrawal of the ship. She ignored the warnings.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/30/thatcher-warned-defence-cuts-falklands

As I stated it was the symbolism of the naval presence, limited as it was it had political significance too.

His note was copied to the defence secretary, John Nott, who also received warnings from Carrington about the risks of withdrawing the icebreaker HMS Endurance.

Carrington said the vessel "plays a vital role in both political and defence terms in the Falkland Islands, [its] dependencies and Antarctica … Any reductions would be interpreted by both the islanders and the Argentines as a reduction in our commitment to the islands and in our willingness to defend them."

Clearly if it played a key role in the defence of the Falklands and Argentina new it was going to be withdrawn, which I doubt because these were secret papers, they would have waited for it to be withdrawn. So clearly her plans to withdraw it had no bearing on their decision to invade.

Interesting point. The banks have probably ended up costing more in subsidies and guarantees than the old state owned industries and utilities. The failure of the banks will cost us for decades.

I'm no fan of the Labour Party but I suspect the consequences of not bailing out the banks would have been massively worse than doing so. Cyprus on crack bad.

Attila The Stockbroker's tribute to her:

A HELLISH ENCOUNTER

The furnaces were roaring

With a foul and sulphurous smell

The damned were being tortured –

Just another day in Hell.

The air was full of ghastly screams

And soul-destroying moans

When above the dreadful clamour

Rose some shrill suburban tones…

‘So messy! And so smelly!

And so awfully, awfully hot!

And all you do is torture –

That puts nothing in the pot!

I’ll close down all your furnaces

Your unproductive ways

And build a brand new call centre –

A Purgatory that pays!’

The Devil dropped his pitchfork

And put on his coat and hat.

‘I don’t mind facing Jesus

But I can’t compete with that!’

But the damned and all the goblins

Pleaded ‘Lucifer, don’t go!’

Stay and help us in our fight -

Better the Devil we know!’

So they voted him shop steward

And he led a demonstration

While Thatcher glared and tutted

In mad, impotent frustration.

Then they made some massive banners

In huge letters: ‘COAL NOT DOLE’!

‘NOT ONE SINGLE FURNACE CLOSURE!’

‘GO TO HEAVEN, TORY TROLL!’

Now Tomas de Torquemada

Held a centuries-old position

As editor of Hell’s newspaper

The Daily Inquisition.

So Thatcher went to him and said

‘I need some press support.

It always does my bidding.

Here’s some text for your report!’

But Tomas said ‘Can’t help you -

‘Cos, Satan, he’s my mate!

You know I’ve served him faithfully

Since 1468…’

So she yelled upstairs to Murdoch:

‘Rupert, time for you to die!

I need you down here urgently!’

But there was no reply.

Then the Devil came in glory

Brian Clough at his right hand

And in tones to shatter marble

He roared: ‘Margaret, you are banned!

Hell’s a worker-run collective

Self-sufficient, closely-knit.

We don’t need your poxy meddling.

I condemn you to the pit!

But, first, I’ll reunite you

With the one you love the most.

He was hiding in the coal hole.

He was dressed up as a ghost.

Said he DIDN’T WANT to see you!

Said to PLEASE keep him away!

But you’re here now, aren’t you, Denis?

Bid your lady wife good day…..

They were loaded in the lift shaft

And soon they were gone from sight

And heading for an awful place

Of pain and endless night

And you’re not going to believe this

‘Twas such awful, rotten luck -

But half way down the endless pit

The Thatchers’ lift got stuck...

So fight for social justice

And build a better world

And bury her foul legacy

With red banners unfurled

And heed the final message

Of this cautionary verse

Or you could end up like Denis.

I can think of nothing worse.

AWESOME!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's a bit like saying Hitler had some good ideas about military spending...but I'm not so sure about his gassing 6million Jews policy.

No it's not. It really isn't. I disagree with many of her policies, but countries levelled by war and natural disasters quicker than south Yorkshire. It was 23 years ago, let it go. It can't be healthy to hold on to all that hate.

Which was brought under control by increasing interest rates and house prices were rising well before the sale of council houses with a small bubble in the 70's, and it wasn’t the sale of council houses that caused them.

Clearly if it played a key role in the defence of the Falklands and Argentina new it was going to be withdrawn, which I doubt because these were secret papers, they would have waited for it to be withdrawn. So clearly her plans to withdraw it had no bearing on their decision to invade.

Was the population increasing rapidly in the 1980s?

The withdrawal of Endurance was publicly confirmed by Thatcher in 1982, just a few weeks before the invasion. There was nothing secret about it.