Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

I do feel sympathy with her family and friends for their loss.. but in the real world and what she managed to do to Britain..

Gas, Electricity sold off.. as they were monopolies where there was no price competition.

Now 6 big firms all foreign owned and no competition and higher prices

Sold off North Sea Oil and BP

Sold off council homes which i am not against but did not allow councils to build more with the proceeds.

Closed Steelworks and the remainder were sold off to foreign owners

Closed down the coal mines and destroyed communities and now we have to import 95% of our coal needs. But part of that was Scargill s fault by having no ballot.

Yes she was tough and had balls to take on Argentina and the USSR as it was then, and she did sign the Single European act which allowed freedom of movement for EU citizens.

Her biggest mistake was not listening to the majority and bringing in the Poll Tax, which did lead to her downfall.

Now in this time when we are told there is no money and massive cuts are being implemented,we as taxpayers are having to pay for her funeral.. taxpayers will have to foot the majority of the estimated £8m-to-£10m bill for hosting the ceremonial funeral. Lady Thatcher's estate is making a contribution and the rest will come out of the public purse. Mindful of generating further unrest in the run-up to Wednesday, Downing Street said it would only confirm how much the funeral will cost the public once it has taken place.

---------- Post added 10-04-2013 at 21:34 ----------

Interesting point. The banks have probably ended up costing more in subsidies and guarantees than the old state owned industries and utilities. The failure of the banks will cost us for decades.

:thumbsup: like this comment

Edited by millsands

I'm no fan of the Labour Party but I suspect the consequences of not bailing out the banks would have been massively worse than doing so. Cyprus on crack bad.

You're missing the point. We exchanged supposedly bloated inefficient industry for a greatly expanded financial and service sector.

Tories argue that the heavy industries were a dead weight. But we've just exchanged them for another a dead weight - a zombie finance industry that has cost us hundreds of billions of pounds.

It's ironic really.

Having just read the definition of Thatcherism on wikipedia, I am no wiser. She did not really do anything different. It states "small state and free markets". But the overall tax take of the Thatcher Governments was no less than other Governments. So the small state is a load of media hype.

What is Thatcherism?

You're missing the point. We exchanged supposedly bloated inefficient industry for a greatly expanded financial and service sector.

Tories argue that the heavy industries were a dead weight. But we've just exchanged them for another a dead weight - a zombie finance industry that has cost us hundreds of billions of pounds.

It's ironic really.

that is so true

No it's not. It really isn't. I disagree with many of her policies, but countries levelled by war and natural disasters quicker than south Yorkshire. It was 23 years ago, let it go. It can't be healthy to hold on to all that hate.

Tell that to the sycophants. Can't be healthy holding on to all that subservience.

No it's not. It really isn't. I disagree with many of her policies, but countries levelled by war and natural disasters quicker than south Yorkshire. It was 23 years ago, let it go. It can't be healthy to hold on to all that hate.

Well said, industries, jobs and cities change and always have done, but yet so many people here romanticise about horrendous dirty back- breaking dangerous work where lung problems and ill-health are inevitable.

Glenda Jackson in the debate today showing that the Tories don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwaring.

It's 8 minutes long but worth watching...especially the intervention and the Speaker's response.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/margaret-thatcher-dead-watch-glenda-1822905

I see that Glenda's interjection has caused outrage amongst the spiteful old crones over at the Daily Heil

Some of the 'worst rated' comments are hilarious!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306997/Margaret-Thatcher-woman-terms-claims-Labour-MP-Glenda-Jackson-bitter-attack-Premiers-memory.html#comments

It's ironic really.

Heavy industry was dead and costing a fortune to prop up. What went wrong with the banks...greed and I fully agree she has her part to answer for there. As does anyone who took out a loan they didn't repay.

What I would like to know and you seem to be up on matters regarding the banks is what happened to all the debts when the banks got bailed out, though a topic for another thread I think.

Was the population increasing rapidly in the

1980s?

It was rising faster than houses where being build which cause a supply problem.

All the bubbles coincide with banking regulation changes and supply of houses caused by land restriction, an increasing population needs more houses and if they aren’t built or they are demolished then prices will rise, the bubble had nothing to do with the sale of council houses.

The withdrawal of Endurance was publicly confirmed by Thatcher in 1982, just a few weeks before the invasion. There was nothing secret about it.

So you think Argentina heard this news and within two weeks mounted an invasion of the Falklands, instead of waiting for it to withdraw.