Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

You do have course have some evidence for that? I just find it rather hard to believe you see, seeing as I managed perfectly well to do reasonably OK, even as the son of a miner...

Google Sir Keith Joseph and his 'class' speech. I have been around over 60 years myself and managed OK, BUT A LOT DIDN'T.

Sir Keith Josephs interest in Eugenics was strange, considering he is/was a Jew. I would have thought the subject was terrifying for a member of a historically persecuted ethnic group.

Eugenics is, basically, about creating a superior class/race. You cant take it any other way.

Oh, and I myself am the son of a miner, whatever that has to do with it.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 22:42 ----------

Galtieri took it as a sign that the British were lessening their commitment.this is a well documented and widely accepted view that you are wilfully ignoring.

The processes that led to the formation that allowed a credit bubble to form began in the 1980s. I agree it could and should have been prevented. But it's wrong to ignore the culture entrenched in the city by then and the prevailing regulatory mood. The Labour approach to banking was very Thatcherite. The mood in the city was Thatcherite.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 22:05 ----------

I imagine the Tory master race as being a tribe of men who can't tie their own shoelaces, still call their mum 'mummy', don't know the price of milk and occasionally still wet the bed at night.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Tim, nice, but dim............or a bit like Boris Johnson.

You do have course have some evidence for that? I just find it rather hard to believe you see, seeing as I managed perfectly well to do reasonably OK, even as the son of a miner...

Are you implying that because you did then everyone could?

Could you be a professional footballer or a brain surgeon or have written A Brief History of Time?

People managed that, why didn't you?

Perhaps because not all people are the same and not every playing field is level.

Galtieri took it as a sign that the British were lessening their commitment.this is a well documented and widely accepted view that you are wilfully ignoring.

You are still ignoring the fact that the Argentineans had plans to invade the Falkland’s before Thatcher.

The processes that led to the formation that allowed a credit bubble to form began in the 1980s. I agree it could and should have been prevented. But it's wrong to ignore the culture entrenched in the city by then and the prevailing regulatory mood. The Labour approach to banking was very Thatcherite. The mood in the city was Thatcherite.

80’s bubble, house prices linked to inflation, when they started to rise interest rate were increased.

GB’s bubble, house prices removed from inflation figures and bubble started to grow, when priced started to stall GB lowed interest rated to give it further stimulus.

Tories sold council houses to the tenants.

Labour evicted tenants and demolished council houses and at the same time he allowed 3,000,000 extra people to settle here.

Can you see how the two policies are entirely different and completely unrelated.

Are you implying that because you did then everyone could?

Could you be a professional footballer or a brain surgeon or have written A Brief History of Time?

People managed that, why didn't you?

Perhaps because not all people are the same and not every playing field is level.

Well, in the early 80s that's what labour was going for wasn't it ? Only alot lower than brain surgeons. Interestingly Blair tried to make everyone graduates - do you think that has been a runaway success ?

She won the 1983 election, purely due to winning the Fauklands war, even though she was in charge when the Argies thought it was ok to go to war. At every election, she had fewer votes than the previous election. She held up reform in South Africa - the Apartheid.

the little matter of the Labour party splitting in half, the emergence of the SDP - to which many Labour MP's had defected - which together with the Libs took 25% of the total vote, the most they have ever got, had no effect then?

Labour also chose the wrong leader to win the election for them in Michael Foot, had the worst manifesto ever, and ran the worst campaign ever. Had they chosen Healey in 1980, they might have had a chance, even with the Falklands. A small one. But a much better chance than they got.

the Falklands did not win Thatcher the 1983 election. Had it never happened, she would have won anyway. But had the UK lost the war, who can say what would have happened. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that given the abysmal state the main opposition was in, and how useless they were, she still might have won - unless Healey had been the Labour candidate.

Thatcher did get less votes at every election since 1979 to 87. But not much less. The feature of the Tory vote, between 1979 and 1992 was how incredibly loyal it was. Much more loyal than the Labour vote in their long period of government when they won three elections, between 1997 and 2005 where they lost a massive amount of votes but still managed to cling on to power. In 1992, when Major was the Tory candidate, they got more votes than they even got in 1979, Thatcher's best election. Which really shows, that they were right to get rid of Thatcher in 1990. It was the smart tactical move, to get ride of her then. Her successor, got more Tory votes than she ever got.

in South Africa, her opinion was that sanctions would not help. One that I didn't agree with at the time, for sure (although I was still very young then), and I still don't. I myself still think that it was a good idea to sanction the apartheid regime. It demoralised a lot of them. Especially the sporting boycott in such a sports-obsessed country. But Thatcher, and others, thought differently. It still has not been shown conclusively that sanctions actually were of any benefit in South Africa finally coming to the table, far too late, and releasing Nelson Mandela - who incidentally was quick to come to London and meet her after he was released. The sanctions had the effect of actually bolstering parts of the South African economy, just like the Rhodesian sactions before them did. Were he not in ill health and unable to travel, I am sure Nelson Mandela and FW De Klerk would be attending her funeral together. Anti-apartheid sanctions being decisive in causing the South Africans to negotiate is a bit like the 'Falklands factor' being decisive in winning the 1983 election. One of those things that are repeated often, and assumed to be true by many, but just do not stand up to scrutiny.

Well, in the early 80s that's what labour was going for wasn't it ? Only alot lower than brain surgeons. Interestingly Blair tried to make everyone graduates - do you think that has been a runaway success ?

Sorry, not quite sure what you are getting at.

What was labour going for in the 80s?

No, I do not think that everyone should be graduates. I think access to a University education should have nothing to do with finances and everything to do with ability.