Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Why is this a good statistic?? Wouldn't you rather live in a country that can afford to house 42% of it's population??

Private ownership is a relatively new thing for a large proportion of the population.

Owning your own home seems to be a British thing. Renting properties is the norm throughout the most of Europe.

I would rather live in a country in which everyone that can work does work, one in which people can afford to own their own home and take pride in their own home and neighbourhood.

Yes and that’s precisely what the NUM did, it bullied miners into strike action and intimidated those that wouldn't do as they were told.

I’ve been made redundant several times and at no time did I feel the need to kick someone’s head in, smash their window, intimidated women and children. Something these bave NUM members did to anyone that wouldn't support their cause.

Striking is always the last resort. It's not like they were in for a large pay off, like I got when I was made redundant. I was left with options and high hopes of an alternative life when I got made redundant.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:00 ----------

I would rather live in a country in which everyone that can work does work, one in which people can afford to own their own home and take pride in their own home and neighbourhood.

I agree. Thatcher made millions unemployed and created the reserve army of workers, that required benefits and couldn't afford a mortgage.

Whatever policies were carried out by the government she led does not take away the fact that she was a remarkable woman.

For a woman to rise from an humble background to lead the Conservative party and win 3 elections was a massive achievement for a woman at that time.

Striking is always the last resort. It's not like they were in for a large pay off, like I got when I was made redundant. I was left with options and high hopes of an alternative life when I got made redundant.

I agree. Thatcher made millions unemployed and created the reserve army of workers, that required benefits and couldn't afford a mortgage.

But she didn't end a country in which everyone that could work did work; she didn’t degrease the amount of people that could afford to own their own home. The mines had no future, coal had no future and a country with unions in charge had no future.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:14 ----------

So have I but when you got nade redundant you got paid, when you are on strike you get no money

I didn't, not everyone that is made redundant gets a generous pay off, when a private company goes under there’s usually no money left to pay anyone off.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:16 ----------

So have I but when you got nade redundant you got paid, when you are on strike you get no money

The NUM was paying its member to travel the country intimidating miners that wanted to work.

Edited by MrSmith

No answer then as usual, didn't the bank of England have the remit to control inflation, it’s a pity Gordon Brown removed house price inflation from those figure, if he had left them alone the Bank of England would have stopped the bubble by increasing interest rates. You simply can't blame Gordon Browns bad choices on Margret Thatcher.

What is 'no answer as usual' supposed to mean. Please try and be civil.

I'be carefully explained to you why the culture in the city was important. You can research the changes after 1986. I'm not disputing that other factors are important with the bubble but you see the whole thing as a disconnected process unique to Labour when the reality is that certain themes ran back to 1986.

See, you can't actually answer the question, can you?

She did nothing good!

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 08:23 ----------

That's not the point.

The way she dealt with the whole thing was barbaric. She didn't have an ounce of respect or compassion.

It could have been dealt with better, much better. The industry was in slow decline, coal was cheaper to import, so she went for the kill to make some quick easy money.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 08:29 ----------

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about her now. Every time you turn the news on it's Thatcher did this, Thatcher did that. Everyone seems to be either singing her praise or telling people to have some 'compassion at this time'.

Sorry, but you don'thave compassion for someone who robs your house, takes your money, rips your family apart, steals your children's inheritance and then expects you to pay part of a £10 million bill for their funeral.

To quote "“I disagreed with the burglar’s policy, of tying me to a chair. But I did admire his convictions.”..............pah!

Anyone know how much this £10 million funeral bill is going to cost as individually?? I'm seriously considering opting out when I fill in my Tax Return!

I think if you read back I did answer the question, wether you like the answer is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:35 ----------

Can somebody post a link to an unbiased website which states more pits were closed under Labour than the Conservatives?

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 07:18 ----------

And not everyone is/was a council tenant

Again, your post too, is irrelevant.

You asked for a good thing she did, I gave you two.

What one person sees as a good thing, is not always the same as what others see, but if your going to ask irrelevant questions, prepare for answers that you don't like...

What is 'no answer as usual' supposed to mean. Please try and be civil.

I'be carefully explained to you why the culture in the city was important. You can research the changes after 1986. I'm not disputing that other factors are important with the bubble but you see the whole thing as a disconnected process unique to Labour when the reality is that certain themes ran back to 1986.

You haven't explained how the events of 1986 resulted in Gordon Brown, removing housing from the inflation figures or how it resulted in him demolishing thousands of council house, or how it resulted in him decreasing interest rates instead of increasing them, or why houses weren’t being built at the same rate as the population expansion caused by labour, you haven't explained how the bubble would have inflated even if these things hadn’t been done by labour.

You haven't explained how the events of 1986 resulted in Gordon Brown, removing housing from the inflation figures or how it resulted in him demolishing thousands of council house, or how it resulted in him decreasing interest rates instead of increasing them, or why houses weren’t being built at the same rate as the population expansion caused by labour, you haven't explained how the bubble would have inflated even if these things hadn’t been done by labour.

No I haven't because I'm making the point that deregulation of the city contributed to the bubble. No one thing caused the bubble, but rather a combination of many factors. You can't be saying that the deregulation of the city had nothing to do with it can you?

I think if you read back I did answer the question, wether you like the answer is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 09:35 ----------

Again, your post too, is irrelevant.

You asked for a good thing she did, I gave you two.

What one person sees as a good thing, is not always the same as what others see, but if your going to ask irrelevant questions, prepare for answers that you don't like...

They were not good things, as you claim and I told you why and asked for clarification of your points

See, you can't actually answer the question, can you?

She did nothing good!

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 08:23 ----------

That's not the point.

The way she dealt with the whole thing was barbaric. She didn't have an ounce of respect or compassion.

It could have been dealt with better, much better. The industry was in slow decline, coal was cheaper to import, so she went for the kill to make some quick easy money.

Bold - as you are doing right now to the memory of a person recently deceased!!!

How could she have done it better? The unions had been going on strike at the drop of a hat - look back in history and read up about the Three Day Week, the Winter of Discontent, Wildcat Strikes etc., in the '70's. The unions showed very little appetite for dialogue unless it was 'yes, [name of union] we'll give you what you want'.

And why is it that many hold Scargill in such high regard, like some modern day Robin Hood? He called a strike without a ballot. He refused to ballot his members when repeatedly requested to do so. He embarked on a personal crusade to destroy Thatcher and the Tory govt (at the expense of the members of the Union and the wider public (something, sadly, he miscalculated - funny how the govt of the day decided not to allow a return to the three day week, where the unions actions affected the entire population of the country (but, hey, let's not romance and good story get in the way of actual facts!).

Scargill destroyed the NUM - and that is something the NUM say, not Tories nor Thatcher apologists.

By the way, were you around during the dark days of the '70's? Or have you just googled a few facts?

People bemoan Thatcher's actions, but they brush under the carpet the actions of the unions in the '70's, which had wider impact on more of society.