Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

No, you are wrong and everyone knows it, even yourself.

Good response, full of counter argument, evidence, facts and statistics.

Trouble is, not everyone knows it - I disagree, so your generalisation is immediately blown out of the water. And, I would suggest that the poster to whom your comment is directed does not know it or he/she would not have said what they said (get it?)

It is not a case of saying (or shouting) 'I'm right and you're wrong' - you have to offer proof, counter argument.

Unless, of course, you're entrenched in your bias, then nothing anyone says will make any difference to you.

You have your opinion, I disagree with it, as do many others. The only thing 'wrong' is your assertion that you are right.

The title was missing the words "ignorant" and "biased" :)

Says more about your politics and the fact that you number yourself amongst the revisionists. That's cool by me, we are all entitled to our own opinion. :)

I come from a mining community and was chased down Goldthorpe High Street by thugs in uniform whilst out shopping. Wrong place wrong time. The thugs were not the miners that day!

Oh look, more lies about that quote she never said. Mind you I've come to expect nothing better.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 14:28 ----------

Says more about your politics and the fact that you number yourself amongst the revisionists. That's cool by me, we are all entitled to our own opinion. :)

I come from a mining community and was chased down Goldthorpe High Street by thugs in uniform whilst out shopping. Wrong place wrong time. The thugs were not the miners that day!

Your misquoting of "there's no such thing as society" counts you amongst the revisionists I'm afraid.

Oh look, more lies about that quote she never said. Mind you I've come to expect nothing better.

Your misquoting of "there's no such thing as society" counts you amongst the revisionists I'm afraid.

She did say it, but it was taken out of context. When the full interview from which that quote was taken and her subsequent exaplanation of what she meant are taken in to consideration the distorted, warped 'meaning' that has been projected in the press can be seen for what it is - a distortion of the 'facts' to suit the bias of the day.

A link to the interview from which that quote has been lifted - http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/displaydocument.asp?docid=106689

Edited by fishy_taste

She did say it, but it was taken out of context. When the full interview from which that quote was taken and her subsequent exaplanation of what she meant are taken in to consideration the distorted, warped 'meaning' that has been projected in the press can be seen for what it is - a distortion of the 'facts' to suit the bias of the day.

As in fact I already said in post #494

I notice most of those crowing about ti have conveniently ignored the full quote. odd that innit :-)

I am not alone. Please be so kind as to explain to me the context. I'm all ears. :)

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/margaretth165648.html

One more thing. In future please consider with yourself what your insults are worth before you bestow them so freely!

I am not alone. Please be so kind as to explain to me the context. I'm all ears. :)

One more thing. In future please consider with yourself what your insults are worth before you bestow them so freely!

I've already explained it to you see post #494.

As I said then, I thought better of you, now I'm not so sure.

You mean they chased you or do you mean you were caught up in the melee that surrounded the miner's strike?

No doubt, there were heavy handed tactics, but I would say, from an unbiased standpoint, this was probably oon both sides.

Can you understand how, in such hostile circumstances, the 'mass hysteria' effect takes over (and I don't mean lots of people laughing!!!).

Faced by mobs of very angry, hostile people, you can forgive the actions of both the police and the miners on that day - the survivalist instinct must have kicked in quite quickly.

It is a shame that people, with no direct involvement in what was going on, get caught up in the situation, every evolving events do have a habit of gaining a life of their own.

I do not believe for one second you were specifically targeted, unless you were doing something to antagonise the police - which, being a responsible young person at the time, I'm sure you were not.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 14:54 ----------

That is still out of context.

I have posted a link to the full transcript. Maybe that might help explain her meaning more accurately.

I've already explained it to you see post #494.

As I said then, I thought better of you, now I'm not so sure.

She was certainly true to her word in looking after the interests of the miners and steelworkers and all the other manufacturing industries that lengthened the dole queues to hitherto unknown proportions...NOT!

When she used St Francis's words did she actually understand them? Answer that one on the back of what she actually did during her three terms!

I wan't be losing any sleep over what you think of me. I'm actually very comfortable with who I am! :cool:

She was certainly true to her word in looking after the interests of the miners and steelworkers and all the other manufacturing industries that lengthened the dole queues to hitherto unknown proportions...NOT!

When she used St Francis's words did she actually understand them? Answer that one on the back of what she actually did during her three terms!

I wan't be losing any sleep over what you think of me. I'm actually very comfortable with who I am! :cool:

People lose their jobs, industries evolve, things change. She felt that it was not the job of the British Tax payer (whom included miners, steel workers, dockers etc.,) to prop up ailing industries just to maintain some unachievable ethic of full employment (btw, 1.4million were already unemployed by the time she came to office - a result of Labour govt policies!)

The tax burden was at 33% to fund the money pits that were the steel works, the mines etc.,

None of those industries have disappeared, they have simply re-valued in the market; evolved to the ever changing market demands.

Look at it like this - should you keep ploughing your money in to an industry just because someone, somewhere decreed it as 'important'.

She believed govt's should not run businesses (and unions certainly should not!) - govt's run the affairs of state and business should run business.

If you went to a restuarant and ordered a meal and were not completely satisfied with the meal you received, would you complain or would you just pay the cost saying 'well, the chef has his own family to feed - it's the right thing to do'?

Or, would you go to a shop and demand to pay twice the going rate for a product because it was made in Britain and the workers had families to feed?