Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

[/b]

Buck do we send you lot the bill for her extortionate funeral costs? as she was so widely admired. Strange how in her own country she was so widely despised.

I think you over estimate how much she was hated; 14 million people voted for her in the 1987 general election.

He also saved thousands of our young men from dying in the jungles and paddy fields of South East Asia by refusing to get involved in the war in Vietnam.

What a pity that Tony Blair spoiled it by getting them all killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I think you over estimate how much she was hated; 14 million people voted for her in the 1987 general election.

She was very popular for a time. Remember it well. But you have to be honest and admit her popularity had nosedived by 1990.

He also saved thousands of our young men from dying in the jungles and paddy fields of South East Asia by refusing to get involved in the war in Vietnam.
At that time, British Armed forces were in action in Borneo using helicopters from our Carriers while I was still serving in the RN. Australia took part in Vietnam, but GB was never involved in it, nor did it need to be.

Looking back it wouldn't have made an iota of difference had the Conservatives stayed in power.

It's an important point. Labour continued with Thatcherite policies. There is still a strong element in the shadow cabinet and in the ranks of Labour grandees who are Blairite, essentially Thatcherite. They are very shrill at the moment - they're worried Labour will try something different.

I'm a bit late into this thread so I don't if it's been mentioned but Thatcher might have suffered an earlier demise in Sheffield in April 1983. She turned up as guest speaker at the annual Master Cutler's dinner at the Cutler's Hall. A couple of thousand demonstrators.A police horse reared up and fell onto Thatcher's official Jag and smashed the back window.It was unclear whether the horse was a protester in disguise or was spooked at the the sight of the PM. I believe Thatcher, the police horse and rider emerged unscathed.

What a pity that Tony Blair spoiled it by getting them all killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

But he didn't kil them, nobody is forced to join the armed forces, even my dog knows the likelihood of getting killed is significantly higher when you volunteer to shoot Muslim extremists on their own turf.

---------- Post added 19-04-2013 at 00:11 ----------

It's an important point. Labour continued with Thatcherite policies. There is still a strong element in the shadow cabinet and in the ranks of Labour grandees who are Blairite, essentially Thatcherite. They are very shrill at the moment - they're worried Labour will try something different.

Whichever way /party you affiliate with, we have swung from our governments being at the mercy of workers in the 1970's and 80's, to being at the mercy of big corps in the 2000's, both equally unhealthy economically.