Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Thatcherism was/is an economic disaster. The bills are still rolling in and show no signs of stopping:

Thatcherism is the root of our banking crisis

It is the root of our housing crisis

It is the root of our looming energy crisis

Isn't it odd how none of this was tackled from 1997-2010 if it was such a disaster?

I am having a drink at the moment terry [tea] and thinking of my pals up in Thorne and Stainforth who at the time of the miners strike were destitute and had to resort to begging and borrowing? to feed their families.

When the strike was over it left families at war with each other and that has carried on to this day due to that awful Thatcher Government.

What do you think the government should have done to curb the power and demands of the unions who were disrupting the country ?

I am genuinely interested why people can not see that she(the government) had at some point to react to an intolerable situation by confrontation.

It was dreadful the way many people were affected by what was happening at the time and the way success in life was measured by the amount of money one had(the Yuppie culture) rather than compassion and caring for others.

Isn't it odd how none of this was tackled from 1997-2010 if it was such a disaster?

It wasn't tackled by successive govts., that's the problem.

Thatcher got it wrong by making finance britains main focus.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 08:59 ----------

What do you think the government should have done to curb the power and demands of the unions who were disrupting the country ?

I am genuinely interested why people can not see that she(the government) had at some point to react to an intolerable situation by confrontation.

It was dreadful the way many people were affected by what was happening at the time and the way success in life was measured by the amount of money one had(the Yuppie culture) rather than compassion and caring for others.

The yuppie culture was thatchers legacy.

so your saying take the 'Hippie culture' rather than the 'yuppie culture' by not aspiring to do better yourself and give yourself and your family a better lifestyle.

Out of interest,who pays for the benefits and national health service:confused:

It wasn't tackled by successive govts., that's the problem.

Thatcher got it wrong by making finance britains main focus.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 08:59 ----------

The yuppie culture was thatchers legacy.

She divided the country by appealing to people's greed. But you could say that applied to all those people who voted for her because they believed in her policy of buying your council home. I notice New Labour didn't change this policy.

Wonder why that was?

Some union leaders at that time where no different to Thatcher in fact they were one and the same in their complete disregard for common sense.

And that was the problem two sides who would not budge until of course one side started to starve.

What do I think that the Government should have done at the time well!

Lets say they must have leaned a lesson as I cannot see them tackling the banking, and financial union of cohorts as they did the trade unionists.

Edited by cuttsie

She divided the country by appealing to people's greed. But you could say that applied to all those people who voted for her because they believed in her policy of buying your council home. I notice New Labour didn't change this policy.

Wonder why that was?

Why is considered greedy to want to purchase you own home,:confused: