What's Your Ideal Job?

I had a well paid job in retail that i quit a couple of years ago for this same reason. I had a good income but i was thoroughly miserable - no social life, working 70 hours a week etc etc.

I took a huge pay cut & moved to an entry level job in insurance. Many people think that would be boring, but i love it. Mainly because it's Monday to Friday & the company genuinely looks after its staff - i am now happy instead of miserable. I also now have a hobby in DIY investing, which will hopefully supplement my income in retirement. I wish I'd left retail sooner.

Good on you! Not sure I have a big enough warchest, or, if I'm honest, big enough conkers to change yet.

I had a well paid job in retail that i quit a couple of years ago for this same reason. I had a good income but i was thoroughly miserable - no social life, working 70 hours a week etc etc.

I took a huge pay cut & moved to an entry level job in insurance. Many people think that would be boring, but i love it. Mainly because it's Monday to Friday & the company genuinely looks after its staff - i am now happy instead of miserable. I also now have a hobby in DIY investing, which will hopefully supplement my income in retirement. I wish I'd left retail sooner.

Yep this. I'm really happy with my lot at the moment. Good work life balance, job that I thoroughly enjoy and seem to be good at, enough to keep my boss happy anyway! Got offered a different job for more money and turned it down because I wasn't prepared to risk all the good bits of my current job for some more pounds. Not everyone is in that situation though, whilst money in itself doesn't make you happy, a lack of money where you struggle to keep your family afloat will make you unhappy, so to us who can turn down better paid jobs we are in the minority and should appreciate how truly lucky we are.

Not everyone is in that situation though, whilst money in itself doesn't make you happy, a lack of money where you struggle to keep your family afloat will make you unhappy, so to us who can turn down better paid jobs we are in the minority and should appreciate how truly lucky we are.
I'll confess to (enough) money making me happy, in a twisted kind of way: it's the fear of lack of money (to support my family), rather than the lack of money, that drives me for getting more of it. I'm sure a psyshrink could explain to me why. Insecurity, without a shadow of a doubt. And hardly curable.

And with that mindset, there never seems to be enough of it coming in, short of an unexpected multi-£m lottery win (...and even then...:o:D)

And then Brexit gets added on top (not an attempt to brexitfy this thread -please- but just to remind that, in context, the issue does permeate people's jobs and lives: I'm in my ideal job, now, here in Sheffield...but I can't stay in it here, or anywhere in the UK, we need to be gone by 2019, because here the job will lose many of its more interesting aspects by then).

Recently turned down a better-paid big corp/blue chip job (same job, different context and country) in Amsterdam. Not willing to get back on that treadmill. I'm looking ever more fondly at a lower-paid job (again same job, different context and country) in southern France. Quality of life > greasy pole. It's a choice. So long as it pays well enough, that is.

If I could remake or reboot my life...then my ideal job would be to be a bush pilot, somewhere remote and exotic.

Edited by L00b

Monty Pythons take on it. :D

Indeed. But there's no comparison. I am currently wearing a stunning hot pink trouser suit, in a size 8 (yaaay, got there in the end; was size 20 when I turned 40 and a size 8 on hitting 50). My hair is very short: purple mainly with a myriad of rainbow colours in one side. I also have some rather cool facial piercings—if that's your thing. And ... I'm way too old for all of these things but what the hell.

I'm not dull. And I don't want to be a lion tamer :P

S x

Edited by Solitaire

Indeed. But there's no comparison. I am currently wearing a stunning hot pink trouser suit, in a size 8 (yaaay, got there in the end; was size 20 when I turned 40 and a size 8 on hitting 50). My hair is very short: purple mainly with a myriad of rainbow colours in one side. I also have some rather cool facial piercings—if that's your thing. And ... I'm way too old for all of these things but what the hell.

I'm not dull. And I don't want to be a lion tamer :P

S x

Are there any vacancies in your office. :D

Are there any vacancies in your office. :D

Yes, as it happens—but probably not at the level that you'd want to work at. And .....you'd be working for me :o and, although I'm the nicest girl in the organisation—and it's a BIG organisation—I am somewhat quirky; some say eccentric ... .but I prefer quirky :blush:

It's great here. I love it .