Static shocks, anyone?

I get the A LOT in Meadowhall but I believe that's because of the floor and because I use a wheelchair. I think it builds up whenever I move and as soon as i thought something or someone ZAP!!! It can be quite a weapon hahaha

does that sound like a scientific reason?

had them all last week from the car doors

You don't get the shock from car door, it is door that is shocked by you, you are the one with the build up of static that is discharged when you touch the door. :)

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 07:57 ----------

I get them so bad in Boots and Mothercare in Meadowhall, I now try to avoid those places, they're awful.

Holding metal key and touch things with it will save you the pain.

You don't get the shock from car door, it is door that is shocked by you, you are the one with the build up of static that is discharged when you touch the door. :)

You could equally well argue it's the car, it all depends on what way round you consider the current to flow...:-)

The cause is the dry cold air that is still sat over the UK which promotes static build up as it doesn't allow charge to leak away easily. t'll probably change this weekend if the promised warm wet southerly winds come along..

I think it's probably due indirectly to the unusually low level of water vapour in the air at the moment. Normally electric charge does not build up very much if the air is reasonably damp, rather it leaks away via the water molecules in the air. To be honest this is just a guess; please don't hesitate to correct me!

Just noticed previous post.

You could equally well argue it's the car, it all depends on what way round you consider the current to flow...:-)

The cause is the dry cold air that is still sat over the UK which promotes static build up as it doesn't allow charge to leak away easily. t'll probably change this weekend if the promised warm wet southerly winds come along..

I get it all year; thought it was static build up cause by the friction between me and my cloths, or me and the car seat, which is discharged when I touch a metal object which is earthed.

Archived