Why is it acceptable for the left to resort to violence?

Another one defending alcohol fueled violence.

There is a peaceful protest in a democratic society, and there is a protest which attacks the Police. Clearly you think the 'left being rude' is acceptable. Sums up this thread really, as it has highlighted some of the 'rude' left wing individuals on this forum.

You see only what you want to.

Change the record sunshine. This is tedious.

Sorry, I realise the discussion is a bit too taxing for some of you.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 18:32 ----------

You see only what you want to.

What? Drunks with a bedroom tax poster burning things, swearing in public, drinking in public and being violent towards the Police?

It's all over the internet, the pictures have gone around the world, with a tag line of 'don't invest here'.

What other side is there to it? Have I missed something? If someone is so poor they can't afford the 'bedroom tax' why do they have a bottle of vodka, a return ticket to London and a Blackberry phone? Is it because they are this poor that violence is acceptable? This is what is being asked, and many have implied that yes it is acceptable.

Another one defending alcohol fueled violence.

There is a peaceful protest in a democratic society, and there is a protest which attacks the Police. Clearly you think the 'left being rude' is acceptable. Sums up this thread really, as it has highlighted some of the 'rude' left wing individuals on this forum.

Why isn't there a tongue-sticking-out smiley? I would totally use a tongue-sticking-out smiley at this point.

Anyway, I wasn't particularly defending alcohol-fuelled violence. But I'd rather see alcohol-fuelled violence in the service of political protest than just for the fun of it.

There were 9 arrests at the Thatcher thing last night. There were 1203 crimes recorded in Sheffield City Centre for February 2013. If you average that out over a month with 30 days, that's 40 crimes recorded per day. 40% of those crimes were antisocial behaviour. And this in the safest city in the country, so it's probably fairly safe to assume that central London has higher rates.

Nothing like blowing a thing out of proportion, eh?

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 18:41 ----------

Editing to add: I've seen 5, 9 and 16 as figures for the numbers of arrests last night. Not sure which is accurate, but either way I think my main point stands.

?

This is not about Millwall fans. Someone can start another thread for that. That is another issue.

This is where you miss the point. Not for the first time, I have to say.

It isn't another issue. It is the same issue in a different wrapper.

To start another thread about it would be to pander to the simpletons who can only cope with binary arguments.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 18:53 ----------

Why isn't there a tongue-sticking-out smiley? I would totally use a tongue-sticking-out smiley at this point.

There is :P:P:P:P:P

This is where you miss the point. Not for the first time, I have to say.

It isn't another issue. It is the same issue in a different wrapper.

To start another thread about it would be to pander to the simpletons who can only cope with binary arguments.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 18:53 ----------

There is :P:P:P:P:P

Oh, so there is. But that's a very happy smiley. I wanted a ruder, more defiant one. One that conveyed disrespect and dissent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306165/Margaret-Thatcher-death-parties-The-Lefts-sick-celebration-Brixtons-streets.html

We constantly hear about the complaints against bedroom tax, millionaire's tax cut, benefits etc etc.

But why is it acceptable for the left, those who are calling for changes, to be violent, rude and down right disrespectful?

Hasn't this always been the case, going back to the miner's strikes? We will get what we want, or we will fight and be violent until you give it to us?

Such an annoying article. It makes it sound like the left-wing parties actually organised the protests in the wake of Thatcher's death.

?

But we have a group of people (the left) unhappy with policies past and present, who use violence.

Seems that you think it is acceptable.

I shall ask again. Are you saying that ALL people that protest are left wing? No right wing people protest?

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 20:26 ----------

Such an annoying article. It makes it sound like the left-wing parties actually organised the protests in the wake of Thatcher's death.

Come on, it IS the daily mail after all :)

Sorry, I realise the discussion is a bit too taxing for some of you.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 18:32 ----------

What? Drunks with a bedroom tax poster burning things, swearing in public, drinking in public and being violent towards the Police?

It's all over the internet, the pictures have gone around the world, with a tag line of 'don't invest here'.

What other side is there to it? Have I missed something? If someone is so poor they can't afford the 'bedroom tax' why do they have a bottle of vodka, a return ticket to London and a Blackberry phone? Is it because they are this poor that violence is acceptable? This is what is being asked, and many have implied that yes it is acceptable.

We have a long tradition of dissent in this country and long may that continue. If people choose not to invest here that won't be the responsibility of people celebrating.

I noticed that you've chosen not to highlight the fact that there were at least 1,700 police at the event - heavyhanded, no?

There are plenty of examples on the internet of rightwingers being disrespectful, spiteful and nasty when Jack Jones and Michael Foot died - including in the Daily Mail - which has gone into gob frothing mode about others criticising Thatcher.

I think some people need to understand that this is not about the right and not about Millwall fans, and not about violence in general.

Last night violence again. People drinking in public, some brought their toddlers along to join in. Some were demonstrating and just being down right disrespectful, others were out on getting drunk and causing trouble.

BBC News interviewed one teenager holding a 'bottle of vodka water' and asked her why she was there if she didn't live under Thatcher. She had no response. She was there because it was an alcohol fueled party.

Now some of these people don't like the Thatcher's policies and don't like today's policies. But once again why do they think violence is acceptable? And how to they have the right to moan about a 'bedroom tax' when they are communicating with Blackberry's and iphones to organise alcohol fueled protests?

How do you know the Police aren't starting trouble by prodding and poking people with batons and truncheons? They do you know. The Police love a good ruck, and it makes them a good few quid in overtime 'quelling the trouble'.

The more trouble there is, the more money they make.

Don't be so naive.

You appear to float above everyone else and look down on the masses judging from afar.

You seem so sure the Government and the Police must be right all the time.

I'll bet if Labour or the Lib Dems were in power, you'd be slagging them off asking why they are letting the violence continue, and blaming a 'left wing Government' for the trouble.

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 12:00 ----------

I think some people need to understand that this is not about the right and not about Millwall fans, and not about violence in general

Don't you have an opinion on the rubber bullet comments then?

Can't say I'm surprised. It's another shameful decision by our 'Oh so innocent' two faced Government.

Archived