Are discussions on Sheffield Forum too simplistic?

Are arguments on the forum too binary?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are arguments on the forum too binary?

• Yes
    • No

Once again, spot on Mr Morris! :thumbsup:

I would have written much the same myself but can no longer be bothered to waste my time and effort only to be shouted down by the few antagonists. :(

Hiya Mr B....I don't know about the can't be bothered aspect. As you know, I do write some quite lengthy monologues (Changing the quilt one comes to mind)...And if I do get 'set upon' by the hungry hounds, I always 'bat my corner'...or at least try to. I don't see anyone as 'bigger' or 'better' or who's opinion is more worthy than my own. But I do 'sort' of understand why others shy away from heated debates, especially if they're relatively new to the forum!

... But I do 'sort' of understand why others shy away from heated debates, especially if they're relatively new to the forum!

Well I'm not new to the forum and I'm sure I'm not the only one that is fed up with the constant bickering on here - although SF is not unique in this of course.

As always, it seems that those with the least to say shout the loudest.

Whatever happened to the posters who put a bit of thought into their replies and tried to entertain the audience at the same time with a bit of humour?

The posters who you rushed to read their posts when you saw their names?

Now for me, it seems to work totally opposite. I now see a poster's name as the 'last post' and don't bother scrolling a thread because I know that particular poster has nothing of interest to say.

Sad, but that seems to be how the forum is these days. :(

Hiya Mr B....I don't know about the can't be bothered aspect. As you know, I do write some quite lengthy monologues (Changing the quilt one comes to mind)...And if I do get 'set upon' by the hungry hounds, I always 'bat my corner'...or at least try to. I don't see anyone as 'bigger' or 'better' or who's opinion is more worthy than my own. But I do 'sort' of understand why others shy away from heated debates, especially if they're relatively new to the forum!

My opinion is that, that is not the entire problem. Speaking for myself in the early days I stayed away from many discussions not because of the slanging matches but because of the clicks that evolve.

Fitting in when your views differ from the stronger side is important to people and if your opinion favours middle ground there are forumers here that refuse to accept that you will not adopt one side or the other.

Many posts on and i no longer care but certainly back then it was a daunting task to 'join in'.

and I'm willing to bet that some people who support Thatcher and her policies weren't even born when she was in office ... and learned their love of her through their parents. Your point is?

Same with those who hate Thatcher. I've certainly seen this on FB this week. Your point is?

And yet the '70's largely saw an increase in prosperity for the country as a whole. Look round Sheffield and the number of new private estates where working people bought their first house - Chapeltown, Deepcar, Dronfield, Mosborough etc.

In the 70's we thought the coming of North Sea Oil would benefit the whole society.

1976 - the best year ever?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/3337143/Remember-1976-Britains-best-ever-year.html

Afterwards the country was more divided - if you had money you got a windfall from privatisations of water, electricity, gas etc. And tax cuts which outweighed VAT increases. If you were a manual worker then a big cut in wages or the dole beckoned.

You've missed out the 3 day weeks, , winter of discontent,30% inflation,IMF bailouts,in 1974 even Sunny Jim said ""If I were a young man, I should emigrate."

My opinion is that, that is not the entire problem. Speaking for myself in the early days I stayed away from many discussions not because of the slanging matches but because of the clicks that evolve.

Fitting in when your views differ from the stronger side is important to people and if your opinion favours middle ground there are forumers here that refuse to accept that you will not adopt one side or the other.

Many posts on and i no longer care but certainly back then it was a daunting task to 'join in'.

So, In effect you're saying it was a form of bullying?....That may well be a valid point.

---------- Post added 10-04-2013 at 11:29 ----------

Well I'm not new to the forum and I'm sure I'm not the only one that is fed up with the constant bickering on here - although SF is not unique in this of course.

As always, it seems that those with the least to say shout the loudest.

Whatever happened to the posters who put a bit of thought into their replies and tried to entertain the audience at the same time with a bit of humour?

The posters who you rushed to read their posts when you saw their names?

Now for me, it seems to work totally opposite. I now see a poster's name as the 'last post' and don't bother scrolling a thread because I know that particular poster has nothing of interest to say.

Sad, but that seems to be how the forum is these days. :(

Hahahaha...you never seem to miss one of 'my' posts!!!....Is that a complement?....I'll take it anyway! :hihi:

I'm willing to bet half of the people who are blaming "Thatcher" for various things were about 3 years old when she left office. They learned their hatred of her from their parents.

And I'll bet a lot who "loved" her were brainwashed in the same way, I was 21 when she came to power, so when she left well older than 3, I remember things but for another day.

Back on topic, what gets me is some threads start off really well, but then get thrown off on a sideways tandem and people talk about totally irrelevant stuff, I've learnt quite a bit on here and like the witty humour & banter & yes the arguments. We are never too old to learn new things.

So, In effect you're saying it was a form of bullying?....That may well be a valid point.

God forbid no, not bullied, more self preservation. At times it's akin to jumping in the lions den. Not so much now I think as a lot of names have disappeared (or been reborn) but then possibly it still feels like that to newcomers.

There are of course a minority on here that are obviously very intelligent and that is a factor that prevents those who may not be quite so eloquent or confident enough to argue there view.

Archived