Money gone out of my bank account

Thank you for all your helpful comments, I haven't been able to ring tonight as I have had to go out, but I will be down there first thing in the morning to sort it out. I do buy things online so it might be something to do with that. I will let you know what happens.

It must have been something very serious that you had to go out for, that stopped you saving the security of your account??

Call them back, advise them that you havn't authorised the debit and you want it cancelling. They may tell you that you cannot cancel a continuous debit on the account or some such guff - you can, and the bank has no option but to honour your request.

Once you have that sorted, go into the branch tomorrow and report it as a fraudulent debit, and ask for it to be reversed. They will almost certainly give you a form to fill out, read it carefully and make sure that it fits what you know - in particular don't sign a generic form with clauses that don't apply etc.

That's sound advice - but you can go further!

Go and see your Bank manager advise him/her that the debit is unauthorised and ask the Bank to recover the monies which have been debited, inviting them to charge whoever made the debit to recoup their costs.

I did this. My bank manager was a good friend and she told me what she could do. It appears that in the event of an unauthorised debit, the bank against which the Debit is made can levy some quite impressive charges against the bank to which the payments were made.

I got a few hundred quid back (the money which had been taken from my account.)

My bank got rather more from their target.

Don't get mad. Get even.

I wonder if anyone can help me. I checked my on line bank account today and found that 2 sums of money have been taken out with a £1.50 overseas charge added on as well. It says that my debit card was used. I rang my bank and they told me that it was an adult site and that I had subscribed to it monthly and it would be taken out each month. I told them I haven't done any such thing and could they tell me who it was. They gave me a telephone number but it is an american number and there is no code on it. How have they got my details, and how can I get my money back? I am extremely worried now as I don't know how they have got my details. Any advice on what I can do would be appreciated.

If you did not authorise the payment, your bank is required to investigate the issue. They cannot just fob you off. Tell them its fraud and to issue you with a new card immediately. If they refuse to give you your money back, call the Financial Services Ombudsman who will either give you all the legal information you need or raise the concern with your bank on your behalf.

NO NOT take no for an answer from your bank. I had something similar and mine refused at first to look at the problem, saying it was my fault. Then after my first complaint, they agreed to investigate but again said it must be my fault. Finally on my third time, they did another investigation and gave me my money back. Banks do not want to put in the effort as it costs them money and they certainly do not want to give you your money back as again that hurts them financially.

My bank once rang me, emailed me, and telephoned me, to contact them urgently. When I rang they said they had put a block on my account, as there had been an unusual request for a payment from overseas, which their system had flagged. They had 'not' honoured the request, pending me contacting them.

It was very inconvenient at the time, cos I had to wait for a new card to be issued, but I was pleased they had systems in place to combat this sort of eventuality.

Just for information, it was the Natwest Bank.

Pretty much sound advice so far. You have the right to cancel any recurring transaction. Depending on the bank this could be easy or hard as some seem to think that your legal rights don't apply to them. Don't take no for an answer and if the person who you spoke to was doing their job right they would have sorted this for you.

Yes I thought they would have sorted it out on the phone, but the lady seemed to have trouble understanding me and vice-versa. She didnt offer to get my money back for me at all, just gave me a telephone number to contact which proved to be in the USA and I am not paying to ring over there.

Yes I thought they would have sorted it out on the phone, but the lady seemed to have trouble understanding me and vice-versa. She didnt offer to get my money back for me at all, just gave me a telephone number to contact which proved to be in the USA and I am not paying to ring over there.

Have you been yet what did they say.

All sorted, money refunded and an investigation under way as to how they got hold of my details. I am assured a block has been put on my account if they try to take any more money out, and the police will be informed apparently if it can be proved it was taken fraudulently. Overall I am happy with the result, I will definitely check my online account every day from now on, just to make sure nothing else goes out. Thanks for all your help.

All sorted, money refunded and an investigation under way as to how they got hold of my details. I am assured a block has been put on my account if they try to take any more money out, and the police will be informed apparently if it can be proved it was taken fraudulently. Overall I am happy with the result, I will definitely check my online account every day from now on, just to make sure nothing else goes out. Thanks for all your help.

Result:thumbsup:

Archived