Money gone out of my bank account

Call the bank (or better, go in and see them) tell them they need to reverse and refund the charges (they can, and should do this,.... legally) and ask them to prevent any more from being taken... also say you will be going to fraud investigation (wether you are or not)

Specifically, tell them that you have not made or authorised the charges and that you believe it's fraud. They should send you some forms to fill in (after cancelling and replacing your card) after which they should refund the money.

My bank once rang me, emailed me, and telephoned me, to contact them urgently. When I rang they said they had put a block on my account, as there had been an unusual request for a payment from overseas, which their system had flagged. They had 'not' honoured the request, pending me contacting them.

It was very inconvenient at the time, cos I had to wait for a new card to be issued, but I was pleased they had systems in place to combat this sort of eventuality.

Just for information, it was the Natwest Bank.

About 20 years ago I flew out to Thailand on Business and started using my mastercard. I then received a phone call from my wife to tell me that the bank had phoned our home, to verify that the spending was really by me, as the spending patterns had suddenly changed. I thought that was good thinking by them. RBS bank, btw.

I only use my credit card for big purchases. The rest of the time in the UK I tend to use cash withdrawn from cash machines using a debit card, so spending on meals, food purchases, petrol etc in another country would look odd.

I was a victim of Bank Fraud last year. I got my money back from my Bank and the Fraud department told me that after the thief had taken money from my account and put it in his/hers they phoned my Bank from a mobile and tried to up my overdraught limit by a few hundred pounds. Luckily this was refused.

My Bank insisted My pc security must have been at fault but I wasn't so sure. My internet account was stopped and they gave me details in case I wanted to set it up again but I never have, up to now no fraud.

Its been slightly inconvenient not having Banking online but not half as much as having money stolen. I just pay my Bills on the Web sites or use Paypal. Never had any trouble doing this so it makes me wonder if it was the Internet Banking Website that had the security problem and not my pc, if you see what I mean.

What I dont understand is if my Bank knew all this eg exactly when the Thief took the money, then they must know which Bank it went in to so why cant they contact that Bank and chase it up .

What I dont understand is if my Bank knew all this eg exactly when the Thief took the money, then they must know which Bank it went in to so why cant they contact that Bank and chase it up .

They will do, but you'll never find the outcome. The account they've transferred to might be compromised too anyway.

Archived