Job application/Reference question

Hi Quick question.

I have applied for a new job and as part of the application they have requested that they contact my current employers for a reference during the application process (I haven't had an interview yet).

Is this normal?

I am a bit wary of doing this as if I end up not getting the job my current employers are aware I am looking and it puts me in an awkward situation.

I'm perfectly happy (obviously) to provide references when I have a job offer and thought this was the normal route of doing things.

Any advice?

Hi Quick question.

I have applied for a new job and as part of the application they have requested that they contact my current employers for a reference during the application process (I haven't had an interview yet).

Is this normal?

I am a bit wary of doing this as if I end up not getting the job my current employers are aware I am looking and it puts me in an awkward situation.

I'm perfectly happy (obviously) to provide references when I have a job offer and thought this was the normal route of doing things.

Any advice?

As far as I can remember, it's always been like this. How can they offer you a job without first seeing any references ? You can always explain the situation re your current employers and provide references from other sources. I've never known it to be any different. It could work in your favour though because if your employers get wind that you are applying for other jobs if they want to keep you it could result in a pay rise or something to your advantage !

As far as I can remember, it's always been like this. How can they offer you a job without first seeing any references ? You can always explain the situation re your current employers and provide references from other sources. I've never known it to be any different. It could work in your favour though because if your employers get wind that you are applying for other jobs if they want to keep you it could result in a pay rise or something to your advantage !

They can offer a job on condition of getting suitable references...if the offer is taken up by the prospective employee then that's when references are asked for

Yeah usually (in my experience) the reference is done after the interview when they offer you the job, so the job offer is pending a successfull reference. Just never had to provide one so early in the application process.

Hi Quick question.

Is this normal?

Any advice?

Some organisations send out reference requests before interview, some after.

The 'application process' starts from you applying and finishes with them offering someone the job, and doesn't necessarily mean they'll send the requests out straight away.

Archived