Job application/Reference question

Hi Quick question.

I have applied for a new job and as part of the application they have requested that they contact my current employers for a reference during the application process (I haven't had an interview yet).

Is this normal?

I am a bit wary of doing this as if I end up not getting the job my current employers are aware I am looking and it puts me in an awkward situation.

I'm perfectly happy (obviously) to provide references when I have a job offer and thought this was the normal route of doing things.

Any advice?

A young man I know applied for a job and they wrote to his current employer for a reference, he was made redundant a week later, he didn’t get the job he applied for, but as a better job now, thankfully.

Hi Quick question.

I have applied for a new job and as part of the application they have requested that they contact my current employers for a reference during the application process (I haven't had an interview yet).

Is this normal?

I am a bit wary of doing this as if I end up not getting the job my current employers are aware I am looking and it puts me in an awkward situation.

I'm perfectly happy (obviously) to provide references when I have a job offer and thought this was the normal route of doing things.

Any advice?

No, you must decline the request. It's not normal procedure. They should only contact references after interview.

As an employer, I think it is unfair to expect to take up references prior to an offer of employment being made.

Defo. He doesn't get the job. Then what?

Completely wrong procedure. I would decline request, if they refuse politely pull-out and go get a job elsewhere. Only a cowboy company would put your current job in jeopardy.

Archived