Sarcasm, a force for good (?)

There's saying: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence", although often only the first part is quoted (some say that Oscar Wilde coined the phrase, but there's no evidence to support this).

While sarcasm can be a bitter and sometimes nasty tool used in language, it can also (and quite often) be used playfully or in friendly banter.

More importantly, I think that, like pranks, sarcasm (used in a harmless way) can serve a useful purpose in that it can help arm the receiver and better prepare them for future sarcasm.

This will, in my opinion, help the person become more savvy to insincere/devious/manipulative people that may cross their path in life.

What do others think, is sarcasm all that bad?

There's saying: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence", although often only the first part is quoted (some say that Oscar Wilde coined the phrase, but there's no evidence to support this).

While sarcasm can be a bitter and sometimes nasty tool used in language, it can also (and quite often) be used playfully or in friendly banter.

More importantly, I think that, like pranks, sarcasm (used in a harmless way) can serve a useful purpose in that it can help arm the receiver and better prepare them for future sarcasm.

This will, in my opinion, help the person become more savvy to insincere/devious/manipulative people that may cross their path in life.

Yeah, course it is...saying that, it's only as bad as the recipients shoulder chip.

Good suggestion of a topic for discussion. I've always thought it's an underrated tool, that's more funny than cruel. I use it a lot myself, and how people react to it helps me determine if I like them or not.

Thanks for reminding me of the full quote, I must remember that.

When insincere/devious/manipulative/Murderous people hide behind secret societies like the Freemasons, The Knights of Malta, The Bavarian Illuminati, The Skull & Bones, The Rosicrucian's etc... only by self educating yourself to their existence and manipulative ways, only then will people become more savvy in their day to day business with health, finance & spiritual dealings.

I expect a sarcastic comment back, which will educate nobody ;-)

When insincere/devious/manipulative/Murderous people hide behind secret societies like the Freemasons, The Knights of Malta, The Bavarian Illuminati, The Skull & Bones, The Rosicrucian's etc... only by self educating yourself to their existence and manipulative ways, only then will people become more savvy in their day to day business with health, finance & spiritual dealings.

Or maybe you could give some evidence (complete with sources) for your claims, on a seperate thread, of course.

Why would that merit a sarcastic response? You're clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic, sarcasm would be wasted on the inexcusably disturbed.

One of the few things I have learned whilst posting on this forum is that I had a misconception regarding the meaning of "to coin a phrase".

Given that I know you are an intelligent guy who is willing to be shown to be wrong and learn from it, I suspect you, too, will shortly fix your misconception.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 00:32 ----------

You forgot to mention the Allumni...

Archived