Welfare and where the cash goes

They have their own, fully funded pot.

Taxpayers will also have to find the equivalent of £33,000 for every household to pay for “unfunded” public sector pensions, Office for National Statistics figures showed.

Overall, those liabilities are estimated at £7.1 trillion, almost five times the value of the entire UK economy. That money will have to paid out of the lifetimes of current and future pensioners.

Only £2.1 trillion of that sum will be met by private sector employers and pension funds. The remaining £5 trillion are obligations on the Government, either through the state pension or the retirement schemes of public sector workers.

Taxpayers will also have to find.

If you use the correct language, instead of taxpayers you should use the word employers!

The employees pay a certain percentage and the employer pay some too; that is how many pensions used to work, not sure how much the situation has changed.

And going back to the title of the thread, its the same issue, its not welfare, its pensions.

If you use the correct language, instead of taxpayers you should use the word employers!

The employees pay a certain percentage and the employer pay some too; that is how many pensions used to work, not sure how much the situation has changed.

And going back to the title of the thread, its the same issue, its not welfare, its pensions.

State pensions are welfare though - according to the Government anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the pensioners, hopefully I'll be one myself one day :hihi: But when the Government is next having a go at some poor sod who's just been made redundant and they're quoting the size of the welfare budget, just remember the figure they are using is comprised mainly of pensions (whether you agree it should be or not).

No one minds the benefits OAP's receive, no one minds the benefits that the disabled receive, and most people dont mind the various benefits that low paid working people receive; what gets up peoples noses is the able-bodied long term unemployed on benefits getting their council tax and rent etc paid for.

No one minds the benefits OAP's receive, no one minds the benefits that the disabled receive, and most people dont mind the various benefits that low paid working people receive; what gets up peoples noses is the able-bodied long term unemployed on benefits getting their council tax and rent etc paid for.

We are, still, a wealthy country; so I dont mind paying for people on long term benefits.

But the point should be that their life is not a good one, no one sets out to be on benefits.

The groups that nobody minds about are being penalised along with an incredibly small minority of that final group.

More benefits go unclaimed (by a long way) than are fraudulently claimed, and JSA payments are such a small % of the welfare budget that it seems silly to focus on them as if it will help cut spending.

Archived