Finding money at a cash point?

Regardless, it is still theft - it was lost, not abandoned. Common law gives you a greater claim against everyone apart from the original owner.

Now i you had handed it in to the police and got a receipt then after a period of time if there is no owner coming forward with a provable claim then it does become yours. Until then I'm afraid keeping it means you are committing theft.

There is actually an offence of theft by finding.

If you find property belonging to someone else you must take reasonable steps to locat the owner.

Failing to do that is an offence.

I would say that finding money near to a busy cashpoint, you should have informed police found property that you found the money and that anyone reporting a loss can claim it from you.

You clearly have very low standards.

Who on earth believes that a £5 bottle of wine is "nice"?

Well how about TWO bottles of wine? mwa-ha-ha-ha still a tenner left!

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 18:06 ----------

There is actually an offence of theft by finding.

If you find property belonging to someone else you must take reasonable steps to locat the owner.

Failing to do that is an offence.

I would say that finding money near to a busy cashpoint, you should have informed police found property that you found the money and that anyone reporting a loss can claim it from you.

Call the police then:hihi:. The number's in the telephone book.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 18:07 ----------

Regardless, it is still theft - it was lost, not abandoned. Common law gives you a greater claim against everyone apart from the original owner.

Now i you had handed it in to the police and got a receipt then after a period of time if there is no owner coming forward with a provable claim then it does become yours. Until then I'm afraid keeping it means you are committing theft.

And I'd do it again I tell you. I'd do it again in an INSTANT!!!!

Archived