United Colours of music festival, Don Valley bowl, 10th & 11th August

flash-blade

Bad news things didnt work out financially - though sounds like a good weekend. Though not so sure about the line thats coming out about "other festivals" and "minorities" getting hand outs - i dont think many commercial festivals get subsidies.

so community festivals like sharrow and low edges...don't get a helping hand from the council....commercial/community what's the difference...its all for the people of sheffield....still it was better than tramlines....

so community festivals like sharrow and low edges...don't get a helping hand from the council....commercial/community what's the difference...its all for the people of sheffield....still it was better than tramlines....

United Colours was a commercial festival - very different to community festival. Anyway - I'm sure i wont change your mind

sounds like it was a right rip off...£35 for a one day event? (expensive at half the price too) with no big names except ub40?

of course there wasn't a better turn out.. and toilets and bar access was probably good because the place wouldn't have been overcrowded at that price

Tramlines was £6 a day plus lots of free stuff.

There's no excuse for an event like this to be more than £10 a day

and the dirty unhygienic food stall holders will probably have swelled the coffers too

UB40 are touring now and its £40 + booking fee to see them on their own, they played Sheffield arena 2 years ago, again it was £37.50 plus booking fee to see them on their own. £60 for a weekend ticket (£30 per day) with 20 bands on inc UB40, THE BEAT, COCKNEY REJECTS, SKATALITES, THE TOASTERS, LAMBERTTA'S, NEVILLE STAPLE, TALISMAN, MISSING ANDY, LEE THOMPSON ECT, household names. We nor any other promoters get any funds from the council ala Tramlines, and before you say its been a free event, free events don't have paid directors behind them. I'm not anti tramlines, I'm all for events in Sheffield. people moaned at £15 for Tramlines, I thought it was a bargain. Some people sit tapping on a computer slagging everyone and everything, there's no wonder nothing happens in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:17 ----------

guessing there won't be a next time - who'd buy a ticket for an event that was a fraction of the price just before it kicked off last time? hope everyone enjoyed it, but doubt it will be the new Glasto.

What a :sad:oo

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:22 ----------

Just got back. Had two great days. Everything about it was fantastic.the bands were brill doing excellent sets. The facilities were excellent , plenty of toilets, plenty of bar staff and food outlets. Everyone I spoke to as thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and if like me will dreading work tomorrow. I'm sunburnt and knackered ! A massive thanks to the organisers, and I hope something similar is put on again next year.

Thank you mate

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:23 ----------

I went Saturday late afternoon - got 4 tickets via Deal Monster for £17 each - redeemed vouchers at gate for tickets -

Enjoyed the bands - The Beat and UB40 were excellent!

Well organised, Great atmosphere - plenty of toilets, bar easy to access- the burgers left a bit to be desired ;-( £4 and still paying for them ;-)

All in All, glad that I went!

Pity that there wasn't a better turn out, but those that were there seemed to be enjoying it!

Cheers, glad you had a great time

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:24 ----------

brilliant weekend! top music,fair bar prices and a good atmosphere...well done to all concerned :cool:

cheers px thank you

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:26 ----------

In the run up to the weekend I was totally hacked off with the promoters and organisers of the festival. I still think things could have been done differently. However, having just got back from sheff, after having a great weekend, I can only hold my hands up to them and say 'well done!'.

Yes the numbers were well down, but the quality of the line-up and the smoothness in the changing of bands(a few minor hitches, I think) all added up to a great weekend.

I do feel a bit for the organisers, as I'm sure they have a lot of bills to pay and not a lot of revenue to cover it,(although the amount of ale supped might cover some of them!) but I'm sure lessons have been learnt and(if) they do it again we will certainly attend. (Might wait 'til last minute to buy tickets(unless there's an early bird special rate), but if the high quality of bands and services is maintained I can see no reason why this event won't become an annual event.

I don't like it when people want to pull these things down,from their armchair, fair enough if you've been and had a bad time then feel free.

Again all I can say is well done guys and thanks to you and all the bands for a brill weekend.

Cheers Snozzer, glad you had a great time, sorry about late price reduction, wont happen again.

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:27 ----------

Thanks for a good event we went Saturday and had a great time, good bands, reasonable priced beer, if its on next year we will be back.

Cheers beany

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:27 ----------

Fab weekend, credit to the organisers bring on next year, would love to just see this event develop and get bigger and better! Loved it

Thank you very much, keep dancing :)

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 11:28 ----------

A Big Thank You to the organisers! Really enjoyed Saturday- would have been there Sunday, but had prior engagement that I couldn't get out of!

Sorry to see that there wasn't the turn out that there should have been, and sorry to find so many other friends/ contacts saying that they'd have been there if they'd known about it! - there was plenty of advertising, so not sure how they missed it!

Will be there next year if it goes ahead!

Thanks shapey

that's the trouble with sheffield...put the money in the wrong places...daft student games...don valley stadium and woodbourn stadium...now being demolished...

tramlines will go the same way....hope united colours returns next year....don't get much chance to listen to music of yester-year in sheffield....

it bombed - end of

good job they had good sponsors....and the beer was flowing...my intake probably paid for UB40....

their evenings with sporting legends....sell out....so lane events will re-group and hopefully come back stronger...on the music event front...

enjoyed it more than tramp-lines...:hihi::hihi:

well our lot enjoyed us sens will certainly go next year if its on......hats off to the organisers for bringing back the tunes of yester-year for us oldies to chuck us sens about at......:cool:

i know mate it was great...beer at a decent price, great bands and top security unlike tramp-lines where they sold only stella or crap real ale...gestapo like thugs who took away all food and drink including bags of sweets...and man handled young kids who were having fun....that was a waste of money....

Archived