Existing keys for the new house

son got key for his new house but only got one front and one back door key, but the house was a student let with lock on internal doors and agents say they cant be found as the letting agent passed them to a second letting agent, what to do?

Is son only a tenant? If so, he should not change locks unless with L's consent.

Might be cheaper to buy new doors because once outer doors and locks are changed how the hell is anybody going to get in to use keys on inner doors? Unless of course he's planning to let rooms

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 16:40 ----------

Is son only a tenant? If so, he should not change locks unless with L's consent.

Don't be daft Jeffrey, would you rent a house when you know there could be people you don't know with spare keys. If letting agent won't change them he should be allowed to. Can't see why they need locks on inner doors though

Why six locks?

Might be cheaper to buy new doors because once outer doors and locks are changed how the hell is anybody going to get in to use keys on inner doors? Unless of course he's planning to let rooms

I'm lost now as to what the situation is and why six locks need changing.

Are the outer doors communal doors? If not then presumably whatever is behind the outer doors is only accessible to the son. If the outer doors are communal then I wouldn't bother changing those locks as the distribution of keys is beyond your son's control - unless cutting a new key requires a key card - the ABS Euro locks are like that.

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 16:40 ----------

Don't be daft Jeffrey, would you rent a house when you know there could be people you don't know with spare keys. If letting agent won't change them he should be allowed to. Can't see why they need locks on inner doors though

If he's a T then he'll need the LL's permission to change locks.

If he's a T then he'll need the LL's permission to change locks.

OPs gone quiet but my point was if landlord can't guarantee the security of the property because people who they don't know have keys then the locks need changing to the outer doors whether by the landlord or the tenant. How would you like to go out to work knowing people could be letting themselves into your home. Can't see why the inner doors need locks

Theres no way of guaranteeing that no old tenant has copies of your key, although you would probably have a case against the landlord if you were robbed by someone with a key-I don't know how you would prove it though. You can't change the locks without permission from the landlord and I doubt that you can do anything about internal locks to be honest. Check whether they are listed on the inventory, if they are you may be able to force the letting agent to replace them.

he's just bought the house, think it was used as student digs. all door inside have locks. he knows he will have to change external doors but wanted keys for inside,

No problem.

Either remove or change the locks.

If he's purchased the house then there's not much more he can do.

Archived