House to rent: No Pets, No Smokers, NO BENEFITS

I have been looking at properties to rent over the last few months. I am seeing the normal description of things like; Furnished or Unfurnished, Finished to a high standard etc etc, but then you get the final foot note of No Pets, No Smokers and then lastly No Benefits.

Now I'm not a smoker, nor do I have any pets and we are not on benefits, but it got me thinking. I can understand the first two, to safeguard the property, but the last, No Benefits, seems to be to be a little harsh, but could it also be illegal? If I owned a shop for example and had a sign saying "No people on Benefits allowed" that would be presumably illegal, so why not when it comes to housing?

Discrimination is frowned upon in so many parts of our society, but seems to be alive and kicking in the rental property market. Why is such overt discrimination like this allowed?

Just an observation :cool:

I wonder what happens if a tenant loses his/her job and goes on to receive benefits. Are they at risk of automatically being evicted, even if the rent is still being paid?

If its in the tenancy agreement i believe that could be the case,but i'm sure an expert may be along to be accurate.

I think they have to serve all those notices and stuff for breach of agreement(i think)

I think there should be less pet discrimination, there are plenty of people with pets who will look after a house and are prepared to pay extra for extra cleaning at the end of the tenancy!

This. We only found one house to rent which allowed pets, which happened to be suitable thankfully, but otherwise the idea of finding a property and then getting the agent to phone the landlord, what a palava. When we moved out, we left the place cleaner than when we actually moved in.

What annoyed me more when my daughter was looking for a place was they all wanted between £200 and £250 non refundable up front on top of everything else to check out her creditworthiness when it only costs a few quid to check it out.

I have been looking at properties to rent over the last few months. I am seeing the normal description of things like; Furnished or Unfurnished, Finished to a high standard etc etc, but then you get the final foot note of No Pets, No Smokers and then lastly No Benefits.

Now I'm not a smoker, nor do I have any pets and we are not on benefits, but it got me thinking. I can understand the first two, to safeguard the property, but the last, No Benefits, seems to be to be a little harsh, but could it also be illegal? If I owned a shop for example and had a sign saying "No people on Benefits allowed" that would be presumably illegal, so why not when it comes to housing?

Discrimination is frowned upon in so many parts of our society, but seems to be alive and kicking in the rental property market. Why is such overt discrimination like this allowed?

Just an observation :cool:

Very good point, if we must have buy to let they should be forced to rent to anyone. Clearly the more desirable properties would be out of reach of benefits claimants because of the rental cost.

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 16:34 ----------

Clearly buy to let both discriminatory and a failure so should be stopped. :)

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 16:37 ----------

Let young people buy their home instead of being forced to rent it.

I know I never understood that as if you have a tenant that's on benefits you are more than likely guaranteed your rent, as they are going to be paid. If you have someone that is working with how employment is no job is safe, so you might not be guaranteed to get your rent and there are some people who are on long benefits through illness or injury and can never work, so saying no DSS is generalising and banding everyone on benefits together when in reality every person who is claiming has a different personal situation from another claimant it is not one size fits all situation. :);)

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 17:46 ----------

Council Associations already deduct the housing benefit, from your benefits before you get them. When private renting the full amount goes to the claimant, so some private landlords might be apprehensive as they might think that person is not going to pay their rent. :);)

Archived