Pets and Disability Benefits.

Joining in with the trend of benefit threads.

I just read on another forum a thread about discretionary housing payment.

A couple, one disabled one a carer, had had a visit to discuss the bedroom tax they should pay on their 3bed and the person who visited said they would be expected to sell the four dogs they had before any discretionary payment.

The replies the topic has have shocked me, most were harping on about pets being a luxury and that benefits shouldn't pay for pets etc.

My opinion is that disability benefit should offer a fairly normal standard of living not just the basic food and shelter.

Do people really think that long term disability should be a life sentence of being on the breadline or has the definition of dole scrounger become such that it covers all people on benefits?

Four dogs is maybe a couple too many but surely a disabled person having pets isn't out of the question?

A couple, one disabled one a carer, had had a visit to discuss the bedroom tax they should pay on their 3bed and the person who visited said they would be expected to sell the four dogs they had before any discretionary payment.

The replies the topic has have shocked me, most were harping on about pets being a luxury and that benefits shouldn't pay for pets etc.

My opinion is that disability benefit should offer a fairly normal standard of living not just the basic food and shelter.

Do people really think that long term disability should be a life sentence of being on the breadline or has the definition of dole scrounger become such that it covers all people on benefits?

Four dogs is maybe a couple too many but surely a disabled person having pets isn't out of the question?

Yes, unfortunately.

It's not a question of the benefit recipients change it's the mindset of the imbeciles who make such comments.

The benefit of "petting" a dog and caring for an animal has been proven numerous times.

I think its very sad that as a society we don't do more to look after people who are unable to work through no fault of their own. This is why it is so unacceptable that people feign illness to go on long term sick. These people are taking money out of the pot of people who need it most. The punishment for this should be severe. Its defrauding the taxpayer.

Pets should not be considered a luxury for people unable to work. That's preposterous.

I wonder where it will end.

Changing the thinking of these numbskulls who believe disability should equal complete misery if you are on a benefit should be a priority.

This demonising will only make it easier to slide other, more drastic, cuts to their existence and would the resulting poverty even benefit anyone or the economy?

they'll be following people about when they're shopping next telling them you can buy eggs milk and bread but you cant buy a cake as thats a luxury, surely people on benefits should have some standard of living and not be condemed for it, and as for animals why shouldnt they have a pet, a lot of people are on their own and its company for them

I'm a bit stuck in the middle about this tbh. I don't begrudge someone on benefits having a pet. Heaven forbid I needed to claim I wouldn't want to have to get rid of my cat.

But 4 dogs is a bit much imo. Feeding 4 medium sized ones is going to be costing about £10 a day (2 tins each @£1ea + biscuits) so £70 a week from benefits that are given to help the person live and that's before we looking into things like vet bills/pet insurance.

As a relatively poor, working, person; should any benefits make them wealthier than me?

I know some disable people can work, I assume that there are different levels of benefits. I have seen ppeople in wheelchairs working, so a disability would have to be severe to stop someone working 24/7 100%

As a tax payer, I would be ok with one pet per benefit claimant. And not an exotic pet either, no being clever with a crocodile or something stupid.

Why?

It's none of your business what they spend money on.Surely if they prefer to eat 8p packets of noodles and feed four dogs why is it a problem.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 14:46 ----------

I'm a bit stuck in the middle about this tbh. I don't begrudge someone on benefits having a pet. Heaven forbid I needed to claim I wouldn't want to have to get rid of my cat.

But 4 dogs is a bit much imo. Feeding 4 medium sized ones is going to be costing about £10 a day (2 tins each @£1ea + biscuits) so £70 a week from benefits that are given to help the person live and that's before we looking into things like vet bills/pet insurance.

Thats incorrect.

I feed four dogs and IF i didn't squander money on pet treats i can feed them for £20 ish - a month.So adding on dog biscuits which is about another £2 a week thats less than £30 a month.

Thats for two large boxers and two medium dogs.

Archived